Monday, August 2, 2010

The Dog Days of Summer

James is now 18 months old!  The time has gone by fast.  He walks so much better, zooming all over the place.  He loves to be outside getting dirty, and loves to be naked.  He is constantly removing his diaper, and I have to chase him down with another.  He loves to talk and can say even more words, and it is funny how much he understands when you talk to him. 

Hannah turned 7 and has a super attitude problem, acting more like 13 than 7.  Lauren's attitude has grown and she often treats me like I am the child.  I am buckling down on the discipline, and insisting on more respect and obedience.

After a year and a half, I am about done with the decluttering of this place.  Only a few items left to remove from the place.  Next on my list is to clean the carpets and clean out the woodstove.  I know it is early, but I want to have the place ready to go for the Winter, as last year's was not fun at all.  We now have more space to move around in here, more storage, better organization, better insulation and heating sources, plus a handle on our schoolwork. 

Also on the list is to clean out behind the cabin.  Grass has been cut and a few items have been moved to the barn, but the inside of the cabin has been my priority. I'd like to move all the burn barrels to near the barn, and have the outside "yard" nice and clean.  Since we technically are not supposed to be living in a container here, I try to keep it clean and tidy, and "un-junky".  I'd dearly love to park all the vehicles in the back by the  barn to keep the focus off the land. 

I have been reading a good book by Nick Rosen titled "How to live off-grid".  It is primarily interviews with a variety of people who live off-grid, in various levels, in the UK.  I thought we had a lot of rules and right infringements in the U.S., but man!  Makes me glad to live here.  That is not to say that we need to give up the fight to keep our rights.  I'd hate to end up like the UK.  From reading this book, one of the worst things to happen to the UK is their entrance into the EU.  Confirms my belief that the U.S. needs to stay out of the UN and such partnerships.  But the books is interesting, and contains good info.  His most recent book came out last week, and is another book along these lines, but it is interview with Americans living off-grid.  Pretty cool!  I actually know one of the people in the book!

I'd love to live off-grid, but it can be expensive to set up.  My most pressing need is a way to pump the water out of the well.  I would love a wind mill, wind turbine or solar pump.  This would pump the water into our 1100 gallon tank for storage, and fill the pond.  Water would then be supplied to the house via gravity. 
On the off-grid side we'd need a lot to set up.  We have a generator, but I'd need batteries to keep charged for everyday use, solar panels would be nice, at least to provide power for lights and the computer.  A wind turbine would be great!  We have lots of wind, so it would help supplement the solar power nicely, it's just coming up with the money for these things. I am back to feeling the pressure to be as prepared as possible for an economic collapse of some sort.  I know many believe we are "coming out" of the "recession", but I don't.  I believe we are in the midst of a depression, and it will only get worse.  People are becoming too complacent about the evidence, and are still hiding their heads in the sand.

Oh, I notice people grouping together to live in one house, or families bringing RVs to live on one piece of property, but for them it is a temporary thing.  I want to know what they are planning long term. 

Even people I know, church family and immediate family aren't taking this thing seriously.  I doubt many of them have enough food to last two weeks, much less months.  What about shelter? Water? Security?  It is high time we get ourselves together Spiritually, Financially, Economically and Physically.  Are you prepared for the long haul?  It is not something you can accomplish overnight, unless you are wealthly.  I have been working on these things since 2006, and am not near as ready as I need to be.  It can be daunting, and depressing at times.  But today I had my belief that God has been preparing me for this, confirmed, again.  A former church member shared what has been on his heart and mind the past year, and it was what I had been trying to tell our congregation for four years!  See! I am not the lone crazy person in our group! LOL!

Reading all I can, refreshing my mind with Proverbs 31 and forging ahead.

No comments: