Saturday, May 28, 2011

Summer is on it's way!



My feet, skirt and apron
Man!  my feet look really clean!

Lavendar
( the pot says lavendar too, it was a Mother's Day gift)

We hatched out chicks, or at least tried to.  We had a dozen eggs, but only two hatched out.  They are pretty big now, though they are still living inside at night in a rubber maid tote.  During the day they spend their time in the shade of the tree behind the cabin.  (Don't let the euphesim "cabin" fool you, we are still living n the shipping container ;-)  Who would have thought 2 years would pass so fast?

We have been busy taking care of new goats, chickens, collecting eggs, getting our garden planted and fenced.  We put up an electric fence to keep the goats and dogs out.

Recently, we lost one of our roosters and a hen.  This leaves me with 3 hens, a banty rooster, and two chicks (age 3 weeks). 

We've only had 2 inches of rain since last fall.  This drought is hurting everyone.  We've been watering to save on purchasing hay, but that just increases the electric bill from running the pump so much.  We re-filled the pond because it was taking so much time daily to keep all the troughs filled.  It's easier to keep the pond filled for everyone to drink out of. 

We've had about a week of 100-102 temps.  Not fun.  Even with the AC on, I'll start sweating if I move too much, then I get a headache, and have to lie downfor a bit.  I am drinking a lot of water, but it still isn't enough.

Let me see, a run down of our activities, hmmm......we've picked up trash over the entire 10.5 acres, it's hard to really see how much trash actually blows in during the winter months  We had so many plastic bags lining the fences.  Wish people would use cloth grocery bags, just so the kids and I don't have to pick up someone else's trash.  I really hate all the cups and fast food bags thrown on the ide of the road.  We lie way out in the country, but still end up with a lot of garbage bought in by other people.  My biggest pet peeves are deer corn bags, and beer cans usually left by hunters.  Now, don't get me wrong I am okay with hunting, just not the trash people leave for me to pick up. 

We also have painted outbuildngs a beautiful hunter green with white trim.  I'll post a picture in a bit.

I've made more jelly, seasoned tomato sauce only 5 quarts for now, but more as the tomatos ripen.  Dehydrated a small amount of herbs as they have been ready. 

Spent time schooling the kids, trying to clean and declutter, as well as, doing lots of laundry. 

That's about it...I'll post some pictures to catch everyone up.

James making brownies (he has his own little apron with boats LOL)

Selena listening to Lauren's iPod

No comments: