Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Aftermath of Tropical Storm Hermine

The girls decided a float was in order this morning.  Over the past two days we have received 10 inches of rain.  This pond was totally empty yesterday.  It is the overflow for the main pond.  About two years ago this was dug out, because we were losing the water onto the property behind us, and it flooded up into the barnyard and back pasture.  Last night I was jolted out of a sleep to Lauren shouting that the creek was flooded.  Sure enough I could hear the rushing of water, and by the security light could see the creek bed, bank to bank with rushing, roaring water.  Pretty cool, and yet scary.  By 9 a.m. this morning the creek bed held a few puddles, but the ponds are bursting.  With more rain expected who knows how much higher it will be??  The car was parked a little too close to the bridge, and was standing in water with the tires half covered.  You can see several places where debris collected during the storm.  The lightening was frightening, the thunder deafening and rattled the floors.  I could actually feel the air buzzing.  Pretty scary stuff.

The horses are supposed to arrive tomorrow.  We won't be going to get them as our help has her horse trailer surrounded by water and she cannot reach it.  The horse rescue will be delivering them.  Praise God!  I was worried for a bit.

No comments: