We have been working really hard on school work lately, and the girls are doing great. Lauren has been working really diligently on her math and handwriting, without me harassing her. I am so proud! Today we went to run errands and she brought along her McGuffey Handwriting booklet to work on in the van.
Yesterday, we spent most of the day at the Witte Museum. We toured the Dinosaurs Unearthed! exhibit. It is only there until Monday I believe. We caught the tail end of it. James was fascinated, as well as, extremely frightened of the animatronic dinosaurs.
The girls had a lot of fun in the Science Treehouse, with Hannah riding the Counterweight Bike for the first time. Other than that, I really think the Museum needs to update their Science Treehouse, and "spice" up the exhibits. Live demonstrations would be cool.
Lauren is enrolled in the Wilton Cake Decorating Course at a Michael's in San Antonio. She has been interested for a long time in learning how to do "fancy" cakes. This is just the Beginner's class, so she and I will gauge how she is interested, and how she performs. If everything goes good, she can sign up for the second course. I have also called about enrolling her in a local Beginning Watercolor class under an artist at a local art studio.
Hannah starts ballet in San Antonio. It is a really cool program designed for home schoolers and best of is FREE! It is far to drive, but I think the FREE factor greatly makes it beneficial, plus I get to see how involved/interested she will be without spending a lot of money for lessons.
I really wanted them to learn to play the violin, but they are not interested. Nothing worse than forcing a kid to learn an instrument who really has no interest. Very painful for all involved. I remember desperately wanting piano and violin lessons. I was able to do both, and enjoyed it. I wish I would have stuck with the piano, as well as, the violin. Would be way useful now as an adult.
We plan to work this holiday weekend on cleaning up the property. The girls and I will be picking up lots of trash, filling up the bed of the pickup. Our new trash service starts on Wednesday. We will also be working on a little fencing project to help keep the goats off of the vehicles, and in their pen.
On Sunday, we have an appointment with a local horse rescue, to hopefully foster a few horses. It will help all around. We will be able to relieve a load off of the manager of the rescue, give a few horses a place to be, and it will enable the girls to see the work and responsibility needed to care for a horse, before jumping into purchasing our own. If it works out, we may adopt the ones we foster. Other than a shelter, we have a good setup for horses. A shelter isn't really necessary here in South Texas, but it will be a nice thing to have. We have all the building supplies laying around, so a work detail will have to be arranged with family members and a couple of friends to get a small extension added onto the current barn. Yes! I have a barn, but it is full of household goods, a lawnmower and other assorted tools. No room for any livestock. There is already an attached chicken yard, goat pen, with covered shelter for the goats, so a run for the horses/donkey will be easy to add (for someone experienced) and an added benefit for them. I am not sure if it will be as cold as last Winter, but a bigger shelter is needed. Our donkey "Jack" fit perfectly in the barn, but I don't want to add 2-3 horses. That would be a recipe for a fight. ;-)
Here are a few pictures of our Witte trip.
James - 19 months
Hannah - 7 years



No comments:
Post a Comment