Happy Belated Thanksgiving All! We went to the Zoo the day after and had lots of fun. It was James' first trip to the Zoo, and he really enjoyed all the animals. Especially the monkeys. We were able to interact with them, and even made a treat for them. How cool!
The temperature the past couple evenings has been extremely cold for South Texas, with a recorded low of 23 and 27 respectively. The woodstove was cranked up high each evening, as we bundled into bed, and hunkered down to enjoy the evening. Normally, the kid's watched t.v. (the Disney Channel or the Discovery Channel). We really enjoy watching The Duggars, Little People Big World, and the Little Couple. Plus, The Deadliest Catch is a favorite of "dad's". I make sure to catch Sarah Palin's Alaska series that is on right now. Pretty country that is for sure!
Our bottle baby goat Dakota is heartsick, calling for her baby. Dakota's baby girl, Kaya, died the other evening. She hung herself in the horse's hay bag. So no more hay bags will be in use. The goats get their horns caught in them. I've had to take them off several times. I never thought one would get strangled though.. How horrible!
The Thankgsiving break was a wonderful time to rest, and get lots of things done. I did lots of laundry, Lauren cleaned the loft to the playhouse, so now they have a place to play out of the cold. "Dad" picked up trash outside this evening and burned it all. We have been baking most evenings, and I have been taking stock of my pantry. I am out of several key items, and my meat level is lower than I prefer. I will be stocking up next week when I make my monthly run to the grocery store. Other than that, I have a lot of other things that I need to start fixing, and need to rotate through my pantry.
I was reading through my preparedness handbook this evening, to determine what I need to purchase. I like to refresh my memory every now and then. I really need LOTS of non-food items, such as: kerosene, propane, hay, fuel, hygiene products (mainly t.p., and shampoo). Matches need to be put on the list. I have had over a year supply of these items, and due to money shortages last year, was unable to replenish the stock. I have put it off so long now, that I feel I am dangerously low. I don't like the feeling.
The night tonight is so dark, no moon to speak of...the dogs are barking their heads off so I can only assume, they hear and smell something I can't see or hear. Possibly, coyotoes, but we did notice the horses smelled like skunk, so really there is no telling what is out there at night. I do know that Bo, our Pyr, LOVES the sound of his voice and barks constantly. We had him tied up for over two months, but recently let him off, as the rope was chafing his neck. Need to get a better collar and a chain to keep him contained. So far so good, he has stayed put, but the barking! Yikes!
We are off this week to pick up a load of firewood from a family's property. It has already been cut and split previously, and is just waiting to be transferred here. I have a feeling we will be needing it this Winter. It is already proving to be quite chilly so early! I also picked up a large load of pallet wood that was cut into pieces. A friend used the good middle pieces to refloor her kitchen. This pallet wood will make great kindling, with the larger, more nail riddled pieces being used as bon fire material. The girls love bon fires! Now that it gets dark so early, when we have company over, which isn't often, we have a bon fire. Now I won't have to use my wood stove wood, but can use the pallet wood. Praise God! Such a little thing, is really a blessing.
I will be working on cleaning (still) and rearranging to make room for our small Christmas tree. I cleaned out around the wood stove, and need to rearrange the book shelves again. They tend to become a catchall of lanterns, matches, fire starters, pieces of clay, and various animals parts (wings from butterflies, feathers, etc.).
Researching switching to Samaritan's Ministries with the possibility of cancelling our health insurance, but we'll see. We will be weighing the costs and praying for God's guidance in this issue.

No comments:
Post a Comment