I thought I'd catch everyone up with what has been happening around here. For Halloween, we went to a friend's house for a party. She has this every year that we have known her. The kids had loads of fun.
We have been pretty busy with the homeschool co op. We only have two more Mondays to attend before breaking until after the New Year. The girls love their classes. Hannah's favorite is Earth Science, and Lauren's is Intro to Chemistry. Hannah is taking Ballet in San Antonio once a week, while Lauren loves her art lessons. A local retired schoolteacher and artist is her instructor. Pretty cool!
The weather has been much milder. A blessing after the heat of the summer. Though last summer's heat was much more intense. The winter weather was not fun either. We have been cleaning up the land, burning trash, getting rid of lots of stuff, clothing, etc. I am in the process of readying the cabin for the upcoming colder weather. With luck and prayer we won't see the extreme low temps that we did last year. The cabin is basically insulated, at least as far as I am going to do this year. The main room (the bedroom) is where we spend most of our time, what with sleeping and watching t.v. there. The living room/kitchen is only used for cooking and schoolwork. It tends to be a "collecting point" for everything that doesn't have a proper place.
Today, I organized the school shelves. Putting everything in order by grade, then subject. We are making a Natural Science shelf for those things we find outside. Snake skins, butterfly wings, strange insects, coyote skull, fossils and more. I still wanted to totally clean out the bedroom of extra "stuff". I don't want to feel crowded when we spend so much time inside during the colder days.
This week, I will rearrange the furniture a little to make it a little more inviting and useable for the colder weather, and to make the best use of the heater/wood stove.
We had our first fire of the year tonight in the wood stove. Pretty nice. We had baked potatoes for dinner, along with sausage. A pretty good cold weather meal.
We are working on our playground area. I am very excited, as are the kids. We managed to pick up three more play items. A Little Tikes basketball hoop, a kitchen set, and a sand box w/ lid. Tomorrow we pick them up (didn't have my van today). Then we'll get some playground sound, and start looking for some sand toys. Bought a few little dump trucks and cars at a local second hand store for James. He was so tickled over the dump trucks. He has been carting it with him all over the land. I keep trying to get him to leave it at the play ground but he won't do it.
This weekend will find us working on a shelter for the horses. We need something for them to get out of the rain and wind. We have the corral, but it needs a roof. Am working on an idea for that, and how to implement. I feel sorry for them the past few days, it has been raining, chilly, windy, and we had pea size hail the other evening. They were gathered under the trees, which is okay, but I'd rather have something better. Feel sorry for the goats too. Need to re-work their pen. The dogs are in there now, as they bark so much at night it keeps us awake. I'd like to get rid of all the little dogs, and keep Beta out all the time, but she just finished coming into season, and we had way too many stray dogs show up. Thank God, we locked her up. People need to keep their dogs contained. I take my responsibility in this area seriously, and wish others would too.
We are still in the process of cleaning out the shop and getting rid of all the junk, so that Rosalinda (my friend) can have her house back. She plans to let another friend use it to live in after Christmas.
We planted wheat last night, but as luck would have it, a large flock of black birds descended on the field. I went out with my gun and managed to scare them off, and shot one. I don't know how much they ate, and won't be able to tell until or IF it grows.
Another election day is past. I was thankful to be able to vote, and while my party didn't make the ballot, I was able to vote for a few Republican candidates I was okay, the rest I voted Libertarian (especially for local positions). I can't wait until the Constitution Party gets more candidates for me to vote for....
Ten candidates out of twelve were elected to state positions. These men are very supposed to be very family friendly, and homeschool friendly. A vast improvement over the men there now. Many who have been trying to push through a day time curfew that would have impacted homeschoolers. Of course, it goes without saying that I wouldn't comply. I don't take well to my rights being violated, and feel entirely at peace with not complying with unconstitutional laws.
That is all I can think of for right now. Hope everyone is having a great fall. I'd love some company, so if you are in the area stop by for a visit!
No comments:
Post a Comment