Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Power of the Tongue

The following information are my sermon notes from last week and this week.  Kelly preached two great, spell bounding sermons.  Not that is unusual, it is just that these both applied to me personally.

Proverbs 12:18 states that "Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing."  This is something I need to work on.  I regularly pierce my children's soul with my reckless tongue.  I don't want this for us.  Our words have the power to hurt and destroy, but I want the opposite.  I just find myself stressed at times, that "reckless" speech has become my habit.  I greatly need to apologize to my children and family.  I need to keep a tight rein on my tongue and use the power to heal more often than to pierce.

James 3:1-2 "Not many of you should presume to be teachers my brothers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly.  We all stumble in many ways, If anyone is never at fault in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to keep his whole body in check."  Verse 6 goes on to say "the tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body, it corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell. "  Actually, if you were to read the entire chapter 3 of James it talks primarily about speech and is excellent advice.  We should all strive for no coarse talk, no jokes at other's expense.  We have let little bits of sin into our life, and we need to avoid those careless, reckless words (Matthew 12:36-37).  Also, check out Ephesians 4:29.  The reference to unwholesome talk is there...in the words of my mom "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all comes to mind.  Pastor Kelly stressed it further to say if you feel you only have unwholesome things to say, force yourself to find something wholesome to comment on.  Don't just say nothing.

So this week I urge you all to go "Say Something Encouraging!"

***************************************************
I practiced my violin for about 30 minutes this afternoon.  I really need to brush up on my sight reading, of course it would help if I would get glasses ;-)  Lauren is just starting to learn to read music, not at her interest, but my insistence.  It is helpful even when singing in church, so playing an instrument is not necessary.  I am going to try and give in and teach Lauren a little about playing the violin...I am not a professional, but I will show her what I know, and if she is interested, then we will look for an instructor later. 

So far, the goats are staying in their pasture and the fence is holding, for now.  They are escape artists, so no telling when we will find them roaming on our side. 

The girls went off to float earlier in the pond, and are now doing some spring cleaning in their playhouse. 

No comments: