Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Octuplet dilemma

I have tried so hard to stay out of this discussion, but I am so frustrated. Where are people's minds? Why are they giving this woman such a hard time? It's crazy, and frankly it's none of people's business.

The newest incidence that has set me off is when the hospital where the babies are currently has threatened to not release the babies to their mom. This is outrageous! The hospital has zero authority.

Everyone seems to have an opinion on this woman's actions, but frankly it's not anyone's right. Now it would not have been my choice to have so many babies at one time, but she is not the first woman to do so. What about the Goesslin's sextuplets or the septuplets born in 1997, the McCaughey's (sp)? The only difference that I can see is that she is single and they are not. When did it become a crime to not be married. Yes, I believe it is a sin to have children out side of wedlock but that is another discussion. Nothing this woman has done has been illegal.

In my opinion, she needs to take her children and move.

I applaud her decision to not selectively reduce her babies while pregnant. Everyone knows that a high percentage of implanted embryos terminate on their own, so it isn't like she was really expecting to have this many children. And from what I understand she was only implanted with six, and two embryos divided into twins. That's nature folks, and nothing she could control.

I do believe she needs to take any money she has made on these interviews and buy a home OUTSIDE the State of California. Pay cash, so she doesn't have to worry about a house payment.

I also don't think it's a problem that she receives any kind of state aid, I mean that is what it's there for right? While I don't like any social programs, they exist, and if she qualifies, she is no worse off than any other "welfare mothers" that park themselves on state aid.

I believe this mom is correct and that she is being singled out for her single status.

The media needs to stop judging her. If there is a problem stop interviewing her, and others like her. Stop glorifying multiple births if it is a problem for you. And for goodness sakes start minding your own business. I am quite certain anyone else wouldn't stand for the public scrutiny of their lives.

It's not our job to police this woman's motives, no more than it is to question the Duggar's for having 18 children. We already have too many laws infringing our freedoms, do we really need more? It has to end someplace.

Sure, marvel at the scientific nature of a woman have eight children that survive. What a miracle?! But anything else is just plain noisiness. I guess everyone criticizing her doesn't have a life and should get one.

I for one will be praying for wisdom and strength for her, and good health for the children. I understand the needs of a preemie and a disabled child, I also understand the criticism of having an unpopular pregnancy. I can't tell you the amount of flack I have received with having my fourth child recently. It seems everyone has an opinion about the number of children I should have, my age, etc., etc., Prayer is definitely needed for this woman.

2 comments:

Brea in Texas said...

I think it became the public's business when she hired a publicist, who started saying that she (the mom) was asking for $2 million per interview. She chose to place herself in the spotlight.

But I agree with you on one thing; we will also be preying for that family. 14 kids under 8? Wow. And I'm hugs fan of big families. But that's a lot of work for a single mom. Yeah, many prayers. I admire that she refused to 'terminate' any of the babies when they found out how many had implanted.

~Brea

Amy E said...

I think she should have gone with her first instinct and kept anonymous, but I can't fault her on making money. I mean people are going to talk ugly about her, she might as well make something. But 2 million an interview is kind of high. Maybe it was a way to prevent interviews? Who knows? People definitely don't agree with the way I live my life. They are free to ask questions, I am free to answer (or not), but it doesn't mean they have the right to keep me from my kids or deny me other rights. This is where I get UPSET.

I understand people having opinions on stuff, you know I have lots of my own LOL! But those trying to take the babies away when she hasn't even shown she can't provide or is neglecting them is crazy. How can someone be penalized for a crime they haven't committed yet? Okay, I will stop ranting!

Thanks for stopping by Brea. I sometimes feel like I am talking to myself. Which I guess is fine, I didn't create this blog for the general public, but my family and friends. So, I guess I shouldn't complain about the lack of comments.