http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090219/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/holder_race
Frankly, this news article bothered me. I mean it really seemed typically one sided...the black side of things, as professed by the man in the article.
I don't consider myself a racist at all. I grew up in the D.C./Maryland area in the 1970s, and the majority of my friends were black, though one was white and the other part Filipino. My best friend in 5th grade was a girl named Tracy Austin, I wonder how she is doing today?
When we moved to San Antonio there were not any blacks in our schools, only hispanic. It was kind of a culture shock to me, because black friends and neighbors were all I knew. I was shy and had a hard time making friends, this was compounded by the fact that many of the hispanic girls mature early, and were kind of rough talking. I was constantly threatened and ridiculed by these girls in school. Eventually in high school I did make friends. My two best friends at that time were Laura and Lisa, both hispanic. But I didn't think of them as my hispanic friends, they were just Laura and Lisa to me. I didn't and still don't choose my friends based on their race, but on how they treat me, and what we share in common.
Having said that, let me address the article. I don't believe we are a nation of cowards when it comes to race. What I have noticed and learned is that it is perfectly okay for a black person to make a statement regarding race, whether their own, or commenting on how "unfair" whites are to them. But if a white person makes a comment back they are then considered racist. Well, you can't have it both ways. Either every American is free to make a comment, good or bad, about race, or no one should speak about it all. To me it is irrelevant. I believe people need to be judged by their contributions, their behavior, and attitude and not the color of their skin.
Let's take our illustrious president for one. I don't like him, period. It's not a black/white race issue, because frankly he is more Arab than black. The reasons I don't like him have to do with his politics, and the short time he has been in office had just proved my fears and suppositions correct. He is a socialist, and is going to wreak havoc on our individual freedoms. But that is not the discussion here.
I am tired of hearing about race. If you are white, black, hispanic, American Indian, or whatever get over yourself. You are entitled to nothing that you have not personally worked your butt off for. In today's society you are only oppressed if you allow yourself to be, this doesn't mean you get to be obnoxious and force your way through life. This type of attitude only breeds resentment, and makes others of your race and culture look bad. No one in this country is entitled to free housing, food, medical care, education, etc. Where has the American work ethic gone? If you want something, work hard for it, don't complain that you don't have something because of your race. That is a cop out, and does not make me feel sorry for anyone.
If you live in a bad neighborhood, move. If it is that bad, and you are in fear for your life, walk out. You don't need money to move, just go. If you stay, you get what you get. If you have a poor job or education, work harder to get ahead, don't expect something because you happen to be a "minority".
I also don't believe in distinguishing people by African American, etc., you are either one or the other. There is no such thing as African American or Mexican American. You are American period (if legal), and are identifying culturally as black or hispanic. I don't identify myself as Irish, German, Scots American, I am American. I am proud of my heritage, and I love St. Patrick's Day, always have. My kids have a small part of American Indian thanks to a great-great-great grandmother (around the Trail of Tears era an Indian woman named Mary married into my husband's family). Our family is a true melting pot of cultures, blended into what it means to be an American.
I am not a coward when it comes to race, but the American people have been ingrained to be "politically correct" and it hasn't been PC to talk about someone's color for the past 40 years. My suggestion is that we need to remember that if you are a legal citizen, we are all Americans, and need to work together to make this country great and to maintain our individual freedoms. Stop letting the government and those dissenters side track you with the race discussion. It's counterproductive.
No comments:
Post a Comment