Wednesday, November 25, 2009

I find myself with a few minutes and thought I'd write here.  Many things going on recently, and life is too busy.  I have been taking my eldest son to his new job and picking him up.  This takes a big chunk out of my day, and uses a lot of gas.  I am grateful for the job a friend has given him, and honored to be able to take him, though I admit I do stress at times about the time constraints and gas usage.

It's a chilly night, and I am tending the fire in the living room.  It doesn't warm the back room, but I find it prevents the really cold air from drifting into the bedroom.  It is 65 in here and that is wonderful.  The kids are sleeping, the gingerbread is baking in the oven, and the kittens are scratching at the door to come in.  They haven't taken kindly to being  booted out.  It's been a couple of weeks, but they haven't caught a clue.  Making the gingerbread was fun, making me think of "olden days".  I only have two electrical outlets in the kitchen area, a few more would be nice.  Anyway, I unplugged the microwave so that I could plug in the oven.  I placed the butter on a blue enameled plate and set it on top of the wood stove to melt while I measured out the other ingredients.  Hannah helped me to stir, she likes to help me cook and make things.  It's a little crowded in the cabin's kitchen but we managed to get into the oven to bake for about an hour.  I had planned to make molasses cookies to take tomorrow also, but ran out of time and energy, in addition to every time I start a project James wakes up crying.


Bought a bale of old hay today at the feed store and cleaned the goat pen a bit, then spread hay under the lean to and in the big igloo dog house for the goats to get out of the cold weather.

Painted for a couple of hours today at the shoppe, in addition to scraping, sanding, and priming.  Lauren helped too, while Hannah watched after James.

Speaking of which, he bit me on the nose last night causing me to bleed.  I couldn't see for a while it hurt so bad.  He started crying, so I think he must have hurt himself a little.

Have most of the laundry done, cleaned up behind the cabin closest to the washer/dryer.  Trying to find some help to get the washer/dryer in the shed, but everyone tends to disappear when I need a little help.  Very disconcerting let me tell you.

Worked at the bookstore tonight, the girls played on the computers most of the evening.  James crawled around the bookstore, and it was a chore to keep him from pulling books off of the bottom shelves.  Between all three of us, we managed it.  He was filthy by the time we left, and his once nice white socks are dingy gray.

Just made some tea from the hot water kept in the tea kettle on top of the wood stove.  I'd love to sleep on the couch in there by the wood stove, as it is nice and cozy in there, but waking up to an icy room is not on my list of "fun" things to experience first thing in the morning.

No comments: