Monday, November 30, 2009

The Power of Motherhood - Isaiah 66

I have felt for a long time a specific need, though I receive criticism at times, to mother my children a certain way.  It wasn't until I read this verse, and heard of the book entitled "Power of Motherhood" that I realize that it is okay the way I do things. 

For instance when James doesn't feel well, is fussy, or has hurt himself I wipe his tears, rock him, and offer him a chance to nurse.  It only takes a few seconds to comfort him, and then he is off to explore again.  I received a little criticism this weekend for "nursing on demand", which irritates me.  And I have been asked by several people "Are you STILL nursing?" "When are you going to stop, etc.,?"  I feel like saying "What's it to you?" 

I don't understand why it bothers people that I LOVE nursing my babies.  They are only little for such a short period of time.  I don't want to be made to feel guilty.  I even had a man say that women who nurse are selfish, because it means then that the father can't feed the baby.  I wanted to scream.  Selfish?!  Is he crazy?  If a man/father REALLY wants to be a father and help parent, he will find ample opportunity to help with the baby/children, the short period of time it takes to nurse the baby is not taking away from the other hours in the day a man can bond with his children.  Plus, I don't know many men who REALLY help with their kids anyway.  As much as I love my dad, he didn't help with us.  He never attended a tennis match, a violin recital, a school program, or church special that I or any other sibling participate in.  His job was working.  And he did it great.  My dad was a work-a-holic.  He loved to work, and lived to work.  Even on his day's off, he would often go in because he felt useless without working.  When my dad wasn't working, he was asleep.  I am sure he was tired from working to support five kids, but it felt like he didn't want to be part of our lives, so he worked. 

Nursing a baby isn't selfish, it is the most SELF LESS thing you can do.  I don't think a man could understand how much a mother "dies to self" when she is a mother.  Not many men can say the same thing, at least no man I know.  To go without sleep, showers, bathroom breaks, meals just to care for a baby.  It can be frustrating, but it is also the most wonderful thing in the world.  If I had been less selfish, woke up earlier to God's dictates for my life, and in a more godly relationship, I would have had more children.  Sadly I only have four living children.  A couple are already in heaven with God, and I wonder what they look like, and what kind of person they would have been.  It can be heartbreaking if you allow yourself to dwell on it, so I push it to the back of my mind most days.  And because I am 40 I am running out of time to have more children, and plus I am lacking a husband and father for them.  I am not looking either.  I have ZERO plans to ever get married again.  The children are worth it, but the pain of giving every part of yourself to a man to only be rejected in every way possible is too much for me to want to go through EVER again.  I will content myself with raising my children and enjoying every moment of their lives.  Something most parents aren't able or willing to do. 

"A capable, intelligent and virtuous woman, who is he who can find her? She is far more precious than jewels and her value is far ABOVE RUBIES or pearls."
Proverbs 31:10

No comments: