Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Farm Update

I am now chicken-less.  My Pyr killed all my remaining chickens in one day.  I am so depressed over that...if I could find a good home for the Pyr he'd be gone.  He is really good with the goats, which is what I got him for, and great with the kids.  The only bad part is he is a chicken killer.  I thought I had him beat by putting the chickens back in their coop/pen full time, but he dug under to get some crackers/scraps I had tossed out to the chickens.  It doesn't matter how much I feed him, he still loves the chickens scraps.  Well, the hole he left was big enough for the chickens to come out of, this spelled their doom. 

With the cold temps and rain lately, I haven't been able to work outside.  It is amazing how fast trash accumulates, especially windblown trash, and the dogs tearing up stuff outside.  I think I'd love just to have Baeta and Muffin, that is it.

We had significant rain this week, 5 inches.  The pond is totally full, as well as, the overflow on the side.  When we first moved out here when it rained, the water would flow out the back, and rise so high, it would start inching towards the barn.  Now, with the overflow area (which I was against being dug at the time) the water stays away from the barn, and fills up the second area great.  This provides great drinking water for the animals, and the girls just had to go "swimming" today.  It was 70 degrees and quite warm in the cabin, so off they went, only to return wet and muddy.  They were headed to their dad's tonight so they had to go into the shower. 

I spent yesterday afternoon cleaning the bedroom.  Four hours, three trash bags and a rubber maid container later.  I had most of the clutter under control.  I moved the girls back up to the loft, making their beds, and adding the electric blankets for them, plus a small heater.  I now have the king bed to myself, sharing with James.  I found a large piece of olive green fabric that I had bought to make a suit a couple of years ago, and hung it over the bed opening.  This gives me more privacy, a darker area for James to sleep better, plus I am not shoved into a corner to sleep, or being wakened by a variety of elbows/hands in my face, or knees in my hiney or stomach. 

Today I spent all day doing laundry, and cleaning.  Filled another trash bag of trash, washed all the dishes and swept the floor.  Lauren folded the laundry and picked up in general in the living area.  I have several piles a long the sides of items to be taken to the shop.  Still not done cleaning, plus the outside needs to have the trash picked up, and the dead chickens taken to the bone yard at the back of the property.  Who knew so many animals died on a farm, on a regular basis?  Between the heat this summer taking my rabbits, chickens getting killed by the dog, and a dog dying, we have a regular horror show going on out back.  The local buzzards are happy with us that is for sure.

Once the couch is picked up tomorrow and taken to the shoppe for the reading room, I will have more space.  I really like having the couch to watch t.v. on, all of us fit, but it is so crowded, it is hard to walk through.  I am looking forward to a large, carpeted area for James to play on, and the girls can lay on the floor to watch t.v. or play themselves. 

Tried to watch Mel Gibson's Apocalypto movie tonight.  I received the DVD in the mail from Netflix.  The movie is far too graphic for me, and not to my taste.  I only lasted 28 minutes before I had to turn it off.

Off to bed, it's 12:30 a.m., and the baby is waking up to eat.

No comments: