Monday, December 14, 2009

The Edge Family Christmas Letter

I don't know that I have written a Christmas letter but one other time.  Our tree is up on the dresser, so that James won't pull it down.  He is fascinated by the lights and ornaments.  Lauren and I decorated the front gate in garlands and a big wreath.  It looks beautiful from the roadway.

Living out in the country without near neighbors is peaceful, as well as, daunting.  I've learned more about myself the past five months then in the past 20 years.  The best nights are when there isn't a moon, the starts shine so brightly, and I really feel how small I am, and how big God is....and how near the coyotes are too!

As the youngest and born this past February, James Christopher Waters Edge just started crawling this month at the age of 10 months, and is pulling up and "thinking" he can walk.  He often lets go then falls.  We about dispaired of him ever crawling, and thought for sure he was going to zoom straight to walking or running. He has 10 teeth (including two molars).  He isn't much for baby food preferring "grown up" mashed potatoes with brown gravy, applesauce, iced tea, cheetos every now and then, and he LOVES chocolate, which he will steal when I am not looking, and when I don't put them up high enough.  He is a cutie with chocolate streaming down his face. 

Hannah, at six, is loving her "words".  She strings letters together a foot long and then asks what they say.  More often than not they don't say a thing.  She loves to read, and her favorite book is "Toot, Toot" a book about the fall of Jericho.  It is an easy reader, and she can read almost all the words on her own.  She loves drawing, writing and spending time with her best friend Shelby. 

Lauren is twelve and growing up so fast, it brings tears to my eyes.  She loves to crochet, organize and to play with her donkey.  She is a big help to me, and James loves her greatly.  They enjoy hide and seek.

Our herd of goats increases and decreases depending on who is new to the farm, and who goes to the great pasture in the sky. We have four Boer and one Toggenburg (our milk goat).  I am looking to come across more goats as I can, and possibly a sheep or two.

We have learned a lot these past few months as we embark on our new journey together as a family of 4 instead of 6.  Our father and brother having left the home to live elsewhere.  Taylor left late last year, and I struggled at the strangeness of it, only to have to learn to deal with a greater strangeness of  not having a father/husband presence in the home.  I have learned how to rely on God, not myself or a husband or father for what I need, and am trying to teach my girls that God will provide for our needs, if not our wants.  I am trying to learn to be content in my present circumstances.  It is a long, painful journey, but I see hope on the other end, as I learn to trust in God in a way I should have learned a long time ago.  I find this all exciting and exhilarating at times, in good and bad ways.

Our homeschooling venture has taken a new twist as I relax and allow the girls to expand their minds and interests.  I still insist on math work and plenty of reading, in addition to their Bible study work.  Lauren has a great interest in Natural Science, especially learning about all the animals we find on our property, while Hannah LOVES math, and has a quick mind.

Big news is that we opened our own shoppe.  I say "our" because the girls are a big help in stocking shelves, sweeping floors and love to "make sales".  The shop is called Amy's Attic, and I dearly pray that the Lord will use it as a mean to support our little family, as I have been unable to find a traditional job.  Please pray for us and that we have the energy to continue working hard and find success along the way. 

I did want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas as we celebrate the birth of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.

Love,

Amy, Lauren, Hannah and James
including the dogs Baeta, Bo, Muffin, Rose, Annabelle and Sophie
the goats Dolly, Dakota, Blue Jeans, Larry and Curly
our two Diva cats Lily and Smarticles and
Jack the Bethlehem Donkey



1 comment:

ASX2+3-1 said...

Amy,

Your Christmas letter has truly touched me today and brought tears to my eyes. You have so much to offer so many people in ways that you probably aren't even aware. You should be so proud of the woman and mother you have become. You are a wonderful mother and a great follower of God.

As I read this letter, it brought memories of the tri-level house in Maryland where we used to lay in the bed downstairs together and you would read ALL the "Little House on the Prairie" books. We would also talk about our dream of going to Hawaii together. I still wish that one would come true. :) Just thinking and typing this has brought a smile to my face. I miss you so much and I love you!

I hope you and your family have a wonderful, joyous Christmas and a Happy New Year.

I love you,
Alexis