Friday, December 18, 2009

I was reading one of my favorite blogs, Wretha's by the way and thought I would steal the questions someone asked her and post here with my answers....

What would you have done differently if you were starting out now? I would not have bought the shipping container, but invested the money in one of those shed like cabins, and placed it under the trees for shade.  The shipping container was never originally meant for us to live in but as storage for our furniture while we sold our main home.  Didn't quite work out how I planned it, but life has lots of little (and big) road bumps. 

What 3-5 things do you need right now?
Hmm, this one is difficult.  I think right now I need a 220 plug so that I can use my dryer.  While I used the clothesline exclusively in the spring and summer, line drying is not conducive to having dried clothes and diapers in the fall/winter, especially during a prolonged rainy/cold spell.  I need a better housing arrangement as the container is too difficult to heat/cool, though it can be done, it is frustrating and overwhelming at times.  Another thing that I need right now is my truck on the road.  It runs great, just the tail lights need to be fixed.    So, I will be dragging it to the shop, praying it is something simple, and then praying for the funds to get it fixed, tagged and back on the road.  I really need the truck to help with income possibilities and hauling fire wood/grain/hay to the house. I need about 50 bales of old hay to insulate the bedroom portion of the container, the side that faces North (on the outside of course).

What would you buy if money were no object?  It'd be great to hit the lottery, but since I don't play that isn't going to happen.  But if money weren't an object I would have a storm cellar put in (I am scared of tornadoes), a small log cabin built, solar and wind power installed (and get of grid electricity).  I'd also have several small cabin/sheds placed towards the front of the property to rent out for camping purposes, etc.
I'd like a bigger barn (a red one), filled with enough grain/hay for my animals.  I'd get horses again, as well as, more goats, and ideally I'd love some fiber goats/sheep, and the money to pay a ranch/farm hand to help me with the heavy work.  I'd also build a small chapel on the property, dredge out the pond, build a gazebo by the pond and maybe buy a new truck, a Suburban and a Jeep.  And I'd buy a Berkey so I could answer the next question. 

How is the Berkey System working?  Well, I don't have a Berkey, but a local friend does, and it appears to be working great for her.  Waters tastes good too.

How many solar panels do you have now? I only have one small solar panel that runs a set of lights.  I'd love to get a small solar RV set up, but haven't the spare cash lying around.  It's on the "the list" though...right behind getting a better house for my kids.

What do I miss the most?  I miss my entire family being together.  I miss total PEACE.  I miss my blue house.  I miss my dad.  I miss not having to worry so much about my kids.






No comments: