The past few nights have been quite cold outside. We have spent the days getting ready for each evenings cold. The first night (Christmas Eve) I didn't realize it was going to get as cold as it was until I returned home from my sister's house. It was so dark I couldn't do much. I draped a blanket over the pipes at the well, and left the water running at the outside spigot, and in the shower. It did no good, the pipes froze. As the day warmed up, the pipes did unfreeze, and I examined every junction to ensure that everything appeared to be working.
On Christmas, I wrapped each outside faucet, and exposed pipe, with material I had on hand (fleece, flannel and old towels)> I used zip ties and rope to secure the material. We also took an old tarp that had torn and finished dividing it down the middle and then secured it with zip ties to the north fence of the goat pen. I am hoping this helps to keep a good amount of the wind from blowing into the lean-to where the goats sleep. I cleaned the pen, added hay, food, water, and a few pumpkins I had around. The goats have been hanging out in there all evening, once the sun set, and it turned chilly.
Tonight it is supposed to be 29 degrees. I finished bringing in a load of wood, as I normally stay up late keeping the fire going. This helps keep the drafts from the bedroom. It is very warm and snug in here, and the new heater works great. (Muffin has taken up residence on the couch right by the wood stove.)
We did hang out here at home this afternoon. The kids ran around, pulling James in the wagon, which he LOVES. I could hear his giggles from where ever I happened to be working. I cleaned up a lot of trash, and placed in the truck for the trash guy to pick up Wednesday. Thursday it is going in the shop....I plan to walk from the front gate to the barn tomorrow and pick up all the trash and place in the truck. I have several small trash piles that have accumulated and they need to go, in addition, to the old pool that the dogs chewed up. I am trying to get everything nice and neat. I cleaned up a large amount of debris by the cabin door, and once the barn is organized (next on the list after trash detail) we will be moving all the excess "stuff" behind the cabin to the barn. The larger trash piles will have to wait until next week, as the truck is almost full now. Oh, note to self, need more trash bags.
I installed the indoor clothesline in the "laundry room"/playhouse today, and hung a load up in there, plus one outside on the clothes line. I have several more loads to get done, so am hoping it is sunny again tomorrow.
Little by little we are getting more accomplished. I have been a lot more motivated lately, which is helping. Thank you Lord!
Cleaned the front room some, tossing out stuff, folding laundry and putting away, and getting Christmas gifts put in their place. Swept the floor, washed dishes, cleaned the bedroom, and made dinner. Now we are watching movies, well I am, the kids are sleeping.
No comments:
Post a Comment