Sunday, September 21, 2008

Dove Season

Dove season started yesterday (Saturday). The girls and I camped out at the land last night, and prior to that Rodney managed to shoot 3 dove. He cleaned them and I cooked them on the grill last night for Rodney to eat. Today he and Blake managed to kill 9 dove and shot 125 shotgun shells. Those are some expensive dove let me tell you! Shotgun shells are currently going for $11.92 a box of 25! That is so crazy. I had purchased a case last December, and I am down to 3 boxes now. I am not looking forward to replacing the shells. I thought I had a lot of shells, but they sure do disappear quickly.

The guys cleaned and de-boned the breasts and I have them in the freezer. Taylor gave me five huge fish he caught in Rockport yesterday. I will separate them out tomorrow, and freeze them. Then once dove season is over, we will take all the dove meat and the fish and we will have a cook out for the family.

The girls have a slight cold, and we missed church this morning. I hope they are better, or it will be bed for them tomorrow and school work will be put on hold. I have dosed them with Tylenol and Bendadryl, and they are resting on the couch.

I forgot to post that we attended the County Fair yesterday. We went on a carriage ride with the girls around the fair grounds. They really liked that, and so did I. The girls went on a couple of rides, looked in the goat barn, went in the petting zoo, watched the tractor pull, and collected a few cans. I wish I would have thought to bring a trash bag they could have made a killing from all of the aluminum cans on the ground. Taylor started the craze of collecting cans, which he does to earn the majority of the money is using to support himself. Lauren has caught the fever, and now Hannah. I need to remember to keep a box of trash bags in the car for instances like this....

We looked in the exhibit hall of all the Home Art entries (baking, canning, quilting, photo, flower arrangements and more). I think Lauren and I will enter something in the next fair. She has a lot of pictures that she has taken that I really think she could win something. I'd like to bake something or submit my Wild Mustang Grape Jelly into the contest. Rodney's secretary won first place in the Specialty Quilt division. This was her first year, and she was very anxious, but she did great!

No comments: