Saturday, December 12, 2009


James playing with Legos at Pizza Inn

We had a good day at the shoppe today.  Good sales and I got a lot done. I swept and mopped all the wood floors using Murphy's Oil Soap.  Cleaned the bathroom as best as I could.  The former tenants left paint all over the tub, not sure how to get it off.  Plus, they didn't have electricity, so used candles, and evidently stuck the candles on various surfaces and just let the wax drip where it sat.  I have been scraping off dried wax.  I started setting up one room as the resale shop, and the other will be "The School Room" where I plan to have home school curriculum and educational resources for sale.  Still need to work on a complete inventory for each crafter, price merchandise and take a picture of the shop. A friend helped (actually did most of it) moved the washer and dryer into the playhouse/shed.  I am so excited.  It is so much nicer to wash clothes "inside" than outside.  Plus, I was worried the washer/dryer would be ruined sitting out in the weather.  Next on the list is to get the dryer hooked up, but until then I will be installing the indoor clothes line my mom sent me, plus putting my drying rack in there..I think with the heater going in the playhouse, the clothes should dry sooner than hanging outside in the cold, damp air.  The washer/dryer fit wonderful in the spot I wanted. 

April was headed to the local Christmas Tree farm with her son's GT class, so once we closed the shoppe, we headed on over.  We had never been.  I'd like to take the kids back so that we can do everything.

I took the profits from the day and bought two candles from the gift shop at the tree farm, plus four ornaments, one for each of us for the tree.  Since all of ours were ruined, I've been picking up inexpensive ornaments.  The tree farm had a good selection and they were inexpensive, but cute.  I got a red,tin cardinal for me, a large painted jingle bell for James, Hannah picked a blue sled, and Lauren chose one with a cute little saying on it.

The tree farm is run by a local Christian family, and is EXACTLY what I had pictured in my head for myself.  We'll see how it goes....

Afterwards we had dinner at Pizza Inn, their pizza is cheap, though not very good, but the kids didn't care.  They put a few quarters in the game machines, and then the "littles" played Legos.  James had a lot of fun, especially when he stole a building that Hannah made.  He was excited and kept laughing, but Hannah was less than happy when I wouldn't let her take it back from him.  She had a huge pile already, so she could share with him.

We arrived home for the night, and cleaned the bedroom, then settled in to watch a few movies.  We have canceled our DirectTv service and are watching movies we check out from the library, Netflix, and every now and then Blockbuster.  We have watched a few movies at www.hulu.com also, plus re-watched our library of DVDs.  I'll miss a few of my programs, and I am sure the girls will miss the Disney Channel, but it will save a bunch of money each month, so is necessary at this point in time.

We are all snuggled in for the night, and the kids are sleeping.  Need to run out and lock up the goats that way they won't make too much noise tonight or dance on my car in the morning.

2 comments:

Anne M. said...

Glad you had a great day =) we all need them from time to time!

I love hand crafted ornaments especially ones done by kids! I'm having the kids all do 1 this year - one for our tree and one to put up for their tree when they grow up.

Something that we're making good use of is used canning lids. You can paint just about anything on them, especially if you do a base coat first. And ribbon or lace can always be hot glued around the edged too. Some of them we're also gluing white sides together and making them 2 sided.

Also something I did when the oldest was about 4 but haven't done again was make ornaments out of a cinnamon dough which you dry/bake. It's been 12 years and those things STILL have a slight smell. You might want to google for a recipe. You might want to bag them to keep any critters away from them - never had a problem yet.

Here's a blog that is pretty good for ideas -->rootsandwingsco. blogspot. com They do alot on how things should be based on family traditions. Plus alot of their ideas/crafts are easy for little kids and for the most part cheap =)


Oh yeah and if you get any channels in on antenna try PBS out it's GREAT for kids and adult =) Also Saturday mornings on one of the networks they have cartoons and shows like Hannah Montana on - they are all re-runs but at least it's free!

Sorry to have wrote so much, just gabby tonight =)

Amy E said...

Thanks for the tips, I greatly appreciate it!