Saturday, September 29, 2007

Saturday

Homework time again. I ususally do my homework at the last minute because I am so busy during the week. This weeks assignment is to write a paper and express our view on whether we believe that the traditional printed newspaper meshes with our lifestyle, and if we believe the internet could ever replace the traditional newspaper.

Here are my thoughts: The traditional newspaper doesn’t have as much importance in my life as it used to have. I don’t subscribe to a major paper primarily because it seems a waste, and accumulates too much. On occasion, I do pick up the Express News Sunday paper to look over the jobs, read the Metro section, read the comics, and cut out the coupons. I do read a printed paper on a weekly basis. It is the Leader News, and is a weekly a paper in my town. As a weekly paper, it doesn’t contain much national news. For instance, the front page news this week was of a horse in the town contracting West Nile virus. Normally, it will be whatever major accident occurred that week, a major storm that swept through town, or a nasty school board meeting. The Leaders News, as a community paper, while often times “hokey”, does provide a service. It lists the town events like parades, music venues, county fairs, local festivals, births and deaths of the town citizens. Without this paper, I wouldn’t know what is going on around town, without resorting to gossip.

I believe that the internet could substitute for the printed daily paper, if all the news was reported instead of only the major events. For one thing, it is easier to access, and updated on a faster basis than the newspaper can print. If towns had a website, where they updated information, or listed town happenings, I could see the reader base of the Leader News decreasing. The Huntington Chronicle in WV has a good online newspaper that I read regularly, as well as, the Washington Post and the LA Times.

*******
That's the start of my assignment. Still working on it, as I just got in from my friend Perla's new home. She threw her mom a birthday party, there were a lot of people there, and I left after two hours, though the party was just starting to wind UP. I left at 9:30 p.m.! I am not a party person per se, and I did have fun, but the kids were sleepy and we have church in the morning.

Made dill pickles earlier this afternoon. Canned 12 pints, and a 1/2 gallon jar for the refrigerator. Still have another more to do, and plan to finish up tomorrow. I'd love to can whole pickles, but the cucumbers are really large, and I don't have a container big enough. I will probaby make pickle spears and dill relish tomorrow.

Off to bed, church in the morning...

Note to self: talk to Karen about using cloth diapers, buy them for her if necessary.....she's having twins and on one income...Please pray for her pregnancy, family and financial situation.

No comments: