Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Wednesday

I subscribe to an online devotional for women. I don't actually get to sit down and think it through every day, but today I find I have a few moments to concentrate on the devotional. The scripture verses for today are in Romans. Romans 6:12 "Let no sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof." Romans 6:14 "For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace." Normally, I read the NIV, but this morning the KJV was handier.
Questions: What joy have you experienced knowing that sin is no longer your master?
As a Christian, I don't feel I am free from sin. Daily I struggle with bad habits, that make my sinful nature flare. I am fortunate and thankful that I accepted Christ at a young age because it probably helped guide me along a better path. I never drank or did drugs growing up, nor have I ever been promiscuous. I did suffer through the sins of pride, vanity, lies, stealing, gossip when I was younger, and struggle yet still with a few. Overall, I am very joyful that I am not enslaved to sin.
What are practical steps you can take to not let sin "reign" in your life? I think the practical steps that I use are: 1) acknowledge the temptation is there 2) prayer 3) reading God's word, 4) actively going out of my way to do the EXACT opposite of what I am being tempted to do or say or feel.
*************
Lauren and I are still suffering with sinus infection. I went to the health food market yesterday and purchased an Echinacea/Goldenseal Antibiotic tincture. You place 60 drops in a glass of juice (I'd suggest orange, as it masks the flaver of the tincture) 3 times a day for 3 days, then decrease the dosage for the next four days, finally ending up with 20 drops on the last day. I have only taken three doses so far, and I feel GREAT. I purchased some other herbal teas like Licorice root which I drank mixed with honey last night. It was very bland, but along with the vaporizer going, I started out sleeping great. I added a handful of Eucalyptus leaves to the vaporizer water, as well as, a teaspoon of salt, and it cleared my sinuses.
I made an appointment to take Lauren to the doctor. For about 4 years we have had the same doctor in our small town. But yesterday, the receptionist informed me he hadn't been taking my insurance since last November. We've been to the doctor since then, and no one said anything. I was very angry. I told them it was highly unprofessional on their part to not notify their patients of this change. They could have cared less. I filed a complaint with my insurance over this, primarily because this means Lauren can't be seen at her new doctor until November 1st! If you make a doctor change before the 15th of the month, you can see the new doctor on the first of the next month, but if the change is made after the 15th, you have to wait until the next month. Oh, I could still take her to the doctor, but I'd have to pay $160.00 for the doctor visit, plus her prescriptions. I was livid. I can't afford it, but I can't have her sick until November. I will have to treat her myself. I try not to give my kids too many herbal treatments, as I am unsure of the their reaction, and would hate to accidentally overdose or poison them.
This morning, I did give Lauren the herbal antibiotic in some cranberry juice, since I took it 3 times, and I haven't had any adverse reaction. I will watch her before giving her any more.
Just checked her for any hives or breathing problems, and she seems fine. She says she feels a little better, and she is up working on the computer, researching Oats for her report.
Hannah's school work is done for the day. Though she would like more.....
We counted beads on the abacus, added different numbers of beads together (1 + 4, 2+2), read a numbers book, read a story out of her Toddler Bible, wrote her name, and the numbers 1-6. That's it. She is watching Little Einstein's now. She just loves the music on that show. Later, she will work on her computer program, the Jumpstart Advanced Preschool. She really likes the Art section on that one.
My peppers are continuing to produce, though that is about it. The baby chicks are pretty good size now, and are basically on their own and WILD! I can't catch them at all, and I want them in the chicken house. They are on their own, safety wise.
Today is cleaning day, so I need to get started before it's time to pick up Taylor from school at 2 pm

1 comment:

Anne M. said...

Doctor's are prescribing Claritin for even young kids now. Just plain old Claritin not a kid's version! My 10 yr old daughter got some prescribed to her this year for allergies. It's the EXACT same dosage as the generic Claritin you can buy at Walmart for under $10!!

Claritin is great for kids because they are really small pills, take once a day, and it either works or don't, with no side effects!

Another idea is if you don't want to take her in for a Dr's visit because of the fee (it's outrageous I know!) then maybe they will let you tell a nurse on the phone and the Dr can prescribe something without an office visit - just call in the prescription. Especially if it's something she's had before prescribed to her - they usually go for that quicker.

If you have it sent to Walmart & your Walmart has the generic prescription discount then your set for only $4 !!

**I'm planning to email you later when things calm down for the night here =) **