Thursday, September 13, 2007

Thankful Thursday!


I am thankful for....

being able to homeschool my kids
my mom
my husband's job
and last but not least.....God

************************
I read somewhere how many people believe that Jews and Muslims worship the same God, but that Christians worship THREE Gods! That is just too crazy for me to wrap my mind around. It seems that "people" enjoy creating conflict where none exists.

I believe that the Jews and Christians worship the same God. Still debating on the Muslims. I don't think I would find it hard to believe that it was the same God if many Muslims didn't allow the prophet Muhammad to get in the way, and if they weren't so volatile and argumentative. I know that won't change though, because the Bible states it will be so, due to Abraham's sin of not waiting for the legacy of Issac, and rushing along his legacy with Ishmael.

Now to address the "three gods" statement. Christians do not worship three Gods. There is only one God, and his name is well.....God. The three Gods come into play for others I think due to the trinity. The trinity is not three seperate Gods, but a way to explain the three aspects of God (the Father, Son and Holy Spirit). I explain it to my kids this way each person has a variety of relationships with those around them. I am wife, mom, sister, daughter, friend, but still just plain old Amy. See? one person, different aspects of my personality. Likewise an egg has three parts, the shell, the white, the yolk, but still just one egg. That is how I see God. Depending on what we need him for, he shows himself in a different way. Relating our every day relationships to those we have with God is not blasphemous, but a great teaching/learning tool.

I have a relationship with God, sometimes distant, sometimes great. Just like the one I have with my mom. Sometimes I talk with her more than other times, but I still love her, and still strive to have a better relationship with her, likewise, I work on the one I have with God.

Okay, enough with my soapbox.

This week has been a good one homeschooling wise. Lauren has been doing great. Very cooperative. We reviewed half of her workbook already in multiplicaton and she has those down. We started review in simple division yesterday, that way it will refresh her memory for long division which is coming up. I like to take the first month, and review the end of last year, because everyone's brain blanks out over summer break. Prairie Primer is going great. I am learning a lot, refreshing even more, and enjoying sharing the Little House books with my girls. I don't know if they will ever know what these books mean to me. Don't think I am strange please, but when I was 5-6-7 years old, I was really, painfully shy. I spent a lot of time by myself reading in my hollow tree in the woods in Maryland. The Little House books (and others) went with me on my journeys, daydreaming and otherwise. They were my friends, when I had none. They fueled my imagination and kept me company. It is this I want to share with my girls.

With Hannah, I have been just doing reading, writing, and arithmetic. This consists of reading one or two stories out of reading text I have, teaching her to write her letters one day, and working on her name the next, finally finishing up with writing her numbers and a simple "math" page. This normally consists of her counting the objects on the page, and circling the correct corresponding number. She just turned 4, so I think this is enough. She then likes to spend TOO much time on the computer using her Jumpstart Advanced Preschool CDs. I just bought them for her this week. I also use http://www.starfall.com/ for her, and Mickey's Clubhouse on the Disney website. She colors, watches PBS or plays the rest of the day.

I have homework myself that I have ben neglecting, and really need to get to tonight. I have a test to complete.

Well, off to have lunch with Perla, and then pick up Taylor from school. We got an early start today, since Taylor had to be at school by 8 am this morning, and we are just about finished with school for the day.

2 comments:

Valerie Roberson said...

That's such a great way to describe the trinity. I'm going to remember that. Have a great weekend!

Bob Westbrook said...

Among the Edomites, the children of Esau from whence Mohammad traces his lineage, there were three hundred "gods" or demon deities they worshiped. One of them was named Allah. I believe the "angel" that appeared to Mohammad and gave him this torrent of information called the Koran was that demonic entity. This type of thing has happened many times with the Mormons being an example. You know them by their fruits. I believe many of the prophecies in the bible refer to Islam.