Sunday, June 24, 2007

Back on the Homestead


Today at church we started a study in the book of James. According to the intro in my bible James (a brother of Jesus) writes this letter to urge Christians to express their faith in daily living. I wonder if others see that I believe in Jesus by what I do and say.
It has been difficult for me for most of my life as I was really shy and didn't quite know how to relate to others and didn't speak well in front of others. As I have grown older I have become more confident about what I believe, know, and how to impart that information to others. I really hope that I can react appropriately to the situations that God puts in my life, in order that others will see Christ in me.
The pastor focused on verse 2-3 "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance." The testing of our faith develops endurance, and helps us to mature and to be complete. Depending on the circumstances it may be difficult to consider the trials we face as joy.
Reading further in James another verse jumped out at me and I wanted to share it here, in the event that someone could use it. James 2:5, "Listen, my dear brothers: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world, to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him?"
The afternoon after church was spent in unpacking from our vacation, putting clean clothes away, throwing away trash, and cleaning up the dining room from last night's company dinner.(Candi and her family came over for dinner. I made lasagna, salad, and garlic bread, plus made Candi a chocolate cake with chocolate icing (she's craving it as she is pregnant). They are currently staying in a hotel over in a nearby town until they close on their house, hopefully next week.) I was too tired last night to clean it up the mess. I still need to wash dishes, and have my son take out the trash. I also spent a little time researching Charlotte Mason's philosophy on education. It was very interesting. I think I fall somewhere in the middle between her philosophy, Classical education with a bit of "unschooling" thought thrown in.
Apparently, I lost the USB cord to my digital camera while on vacation, though I distinctly remember placing it in the suitcase when leaving my mothers. Everything is unpacked and put away, and no cord. It figures! Something was telling me I should have left it here. Now, I can't download my pictures to my blog.
Tomorrow is laundry day and I need to make laundry soap so that I can wash clothes, though there is not much to wash, in addition I need to work in the garden , and research how much medicinal herbs I should plant for a family of 5 for a year.
**I just found out that one of my favorite shows had been cancelled, and then due to fan response will be brought back for at least 7 episodes starting July 6th. The show is Jericho. I am not sure if anyone here is familiar with the show, but I love it! I don't watch TV very much but the show I do like are Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis and Jericho. Stargate SG-1 has gone off the air, with their last episode this past Friday. They were on the air for 10 years. What a great show! I like the show House too, but don't watch it faithfully, don't even know what night it comes on, I just happen to catch it every now and then. If anyone is interested in Jericho, go to http://www.cbs.com/primetime/jericho/

No comments: