Thursday, June 28, 2007

A Lazy Rainy Day


Woke up to a grey day, and it has been raining nonstop today. I went out to make sure all my tubs were turned over so that they would fill with water. I feel very lazy today, but need to get cracking here in a few.

Puting soup on for dinner and working on making yeast rolls. It is flooding all around with nearby areas having over 20 inches of rain in one day! That's just crazy talk.

I really need to get working on my goat pen, as I need to pick up my little girl goat from a friend.
I was reading an article on discipline today. I know that this is a hot topic for some reason. You would think with all the juvenile delinquency floating around parents would recognize a need for some stronger discipline. Today it is popular to NOT spank, and those who do spank are treated as child abusers. Frankly, I am on the side of believing spanking has it's place. People need to realize that spanking is not beating or abuse. Spanking does not breed violence, and is not a tool that parents use because they do not know any other way. I believe there is a direct correlation between the break up of the family, the lack of appropriate spanking and the increase in juvenile crime.

I was spanked as a child, when I needed it, and I recongize that it was effective. I am a productive member of society, and was an excellent student. As a parent, I expect obedience. I have not been consistent in my discipline lately, and am trying to fix that. I only have one simple rule..do whatever I tell you. Not hard to remember I don't think. In my opinion, if done right you should have to spank rarely, and the older the child gets the more other forms of discipline (grounding and taking away cherished belongings) work better. Okay, off my soapbox for now.

Finished my housework. With having a regularly scheduled routine, the house stays pretty much clean, though the clutter is an ongoing battle. Did mostly surface cleaning and picking up of clutter. I really need to schedule time for deep cleaning, especially for the living room carpet, my bedroom, and the playroom. I would like to redecorate my bedroom this summer, but a large pile of yard sale stuff occupies one corner of the bedroom. With all the rain the past 3 months, I haven't been able to have my yard sale. But soon....

I have a pot of homemade Southwest Soup on the stove (basically beef vegetable SPICED up with dried red pepper, soy sauce and rotel tomatoes) and will put a pan of cornbread in the oven in a few minutes (gave up on the yeast rolls).

1 comment:

Bob Westbrook said...

I'm with you on the discipline. Learned how not to do it from my dad. With my two it was spelled out. If you do something, this will happen, so there were no surprises.
My wife could learn from you regarding getting things done.