This guy was waiting for us at the Louisiana Welcome Center. Just kidding! We didn't see one alligator, to my kids dissappointment. I had to listen to the whining, laments of "I thought you said there were alligators in Louisiana!" My bad, I thought they just sat on the side of I-1o and waved you into the state. Gee Whiz! I am writing this from a hotel room in Biloxi Mississippi. I think we made good time today. We left San Antonio today around 9 a.m., and arrived here around 8:00 p.m. Traffic was light, except through Baton Rouge (which we managed to get to during rush hour.)
The kids were good and slept or watched movies on the DVD player. I took advantage of the quiet drive to look at the farms we passed by noticing everyones gardens and woodpiles. The cabins in Louisiana were especially cute, and I took a lot of mental notes. On a sad note, there were a lot of boarded up and abandoned homestead near Houston.????? Made me wonder why no one was living there, and knowing that people could use these. I wonder if the owner's of these properties are aware of Texas' squatters rights. I have a friend who has been squatting in an abandoned property for five years. She is getting ready to pay the taxes for the fifth year, and then she is going to petition for ownership of this property (which she should have done already.) She hasn't made any significant changes other than repairs, since she didn't want to spend a lot of money on something she didn't own, just in case the owners came back to claim the property. She had put a coat of paint on, kept the yard up, planted a garden, pays the utilities for the property, and lives off the land. She works from home to make enough money to pay the taxes on the property, and for incidentals. I guess my point in telling everyone this is to one if you are looking for a homestead, check into abandoned properties (with the tax office too) and two, if you own property, make sure you don't abandon it, you might just lose it.
Anyway, back to the trip. I really enjoyed driving through all this countryside, and while I envied many of the home sites, they were a little too close to the highway for my taste. I prefer something a little more rural and remote.
A little secret, I am extremely afraid of heights and have a difficult time driving over large bridges. The one down at Corpus Christi on the way to Port Aransas is bad, but the one over Lake Charles was especially scary today, as I could see it from a long way off, and dreaded it all the way until we reached it and while crossing it. The one over the Mississippi was another one that had my knees shaking while I was driving across it. Now, my mother tells me there is another one coming up in Mobile Alabma! Oy vay!
We had a great lunch at the Cracker Barrel in Houston, and will have breakfast at the one here in Biloxi, which is just down the street from this hotel.
I really wish I was home, I miss my home, and am worried about my chickens and my garden. I can't wait until this trip is over.
The kids were good and slept or watched movies on the DVD player. I took advantage of the quiet drive to look at the farms we passed by noticing everyones gardens and woodpiles. The cabins in Louisiana were especially cute, and I took a lot of mental notes. On a sad note, there were a lot of boarded up and abandoned homestead near Houston.????? Made me wonder why no one was living there, and knowing that people could use these. I wonder if the owner's of these properties are aware of Texas' squatters rights. I have a friend who has been squatting in an abandoned property for five years. She is getting ready to pay the taxes for the fifth year, and then she is going to petition for ownership of this property (which she should have done already.) She hasn't made any significant changes other than repairs, since she didn't want to spend a lot of money on something she didn't own, just in case the owners came back to claim the property. She had put a coat of paint on, kept the yard up, planted a garden, pays the utilities for the property, and lives off the land. She works from home to make enough money to pay the taxes on the property, and for incidentals. I guess my point in telling everyone this is to one if you are looking for a homestead, check into abandoned properties (with the tax office too) and two, if you own property, make sure you don't abandon it, you might just lose it.
Anyway, back to the trip. I really enjoyed driving through all this countryside, and while I envied many of the home sites, they were a little too close to the highway for my taste. I prefer something a little more rural and remote.
A little secret, I am extremely afraid of heights and have a difficult time driving over large bridges. The one down at Corpus Christi on the way to Port Aransas is bad, but the one over Lake Charles was especially scary today, as I could see it from a long way off, and dreaded it all the way until we reached it and while crossing it. The one over the Mississippi was another one that had my knees shaking while I was driving across it. Now, my mother tells me there is another one coming up in Mobile Alabma! Oy vay!
We had a great lunch at the Cracker Barrel in Houston, and will have breakfast at the one here in Biloxi, which is just down the street from this hotel.
I really wish I was home, I miss my home, and am worried about my chickens and my garden. I can't wait until this trip is over.
1 comment:
You guys have a great time. Those bridges won't bite Amy but I know saying this won't help. Gotta try something. Uhh, Don't look down? Nah, you got a floor on the car and a road you can't see through so that's dumb. Geeze, wish we lived near cause would love your healthy eggs over what the stores have. God bless. Cherie and I are both thinking of you.
Post a Comment