Monday, June 25, 2007

Tomatoes, tomatoes, tomatoes


I have more tomatoes than I know what to do with and....I don't like raw tomatoes to just eat. I have tried to use some everyday. Saturday I made Lasagna and added fresh tomatoes to the sauce. It was really good.



I also sliced tomatoes to serve with dinner, as the guys like tomatoes sprinkled with salt. Today, I chopped up a tomato with two jalapenos from the garden, added a sprinkle of dried onion and cilantro and served with the spicy beef burritos we had for dinner. Rodney said that it was good, though the peppers were on the verge of being TOO hot. The plan is to make salsa this week too, and can it for the rest of the year. Looking for a good recipe.





I found this recipe for Tomato Basil Sauce which I am thinking of making for dinner tomorrow and serving over angel hair pasta.



Peeled and roughly chopped about 2 quarts of tomatoes into a large enamel stockpot; added 1/2 cup red wine vinegar, 2 tsp salt, 1 tsp sugar, 1 chopped onion, 3 cloves minced garlic, 1 Bay leaf, 1 small sprig of Thyme, 1 small sprig of Marjoram, 1/3 cup or so of chopped Basil, and some chopped parsley. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer away.



Today was a good day, a little busy, but good. Attempting to get back into my normal "homesteady" routines. Today was laundry today. I didn't get it all done, primarily because I didn't even make my laundry soap until after lunch, and it was raining off and on and I couldn't hang the clothes out, and I didn't want to use the dryer all day and run up my utility bill.

I did some surface cleaning today, after this weekend of everyone being home. Talked to a friend today on the phone. I haven't talked to her in a while as she is busy with her garden, I was busy with mine, in addition to being on vacation recently for two weeks.


I went to the thrift store next door to look for plates as I really need a few more. I found a large stack of cake plates (for dessert), cute, countrified coffee mugs, an orange juice carafe, a flour crock and an ice chest (for another survival kit for the truck)....everything was 10 cents each! I think it was all a good deal. I spent the afternoon washing dishes, and re organizing cabinets. I still have more to wash, as I needed to start dinner.


Took advantage of the break in rain to tear out the main garden. Most everything is dead, so I removed the corn stalks, bean plants, and pumpkin vines. Everything is lying in a huge pile beside the garden. I need to have it mowed down, so I can till, or just get in there with the hand fork and start working over the area to plant cucumbers and beans.

Tuesday is baking day, so in addition to baking, on tomorrow's agenda is to finish up the dishes, laundry, weed alley garden, go by city hall to discuss emergency preparedness meeting, bake cookies and pumpkin bread.


It's after midnight and I need to get to bed. Have a good night everyone!

No comments: