Friday, June 1, 2007

Being a Mom


Just some ramblings.....for the past six months I have been trying to be a better mom, housekeeper, friend, Christian, and at times trying to be a better wife, though this has not been my primary priority I am sad to say. I was reading something tonight and wondered if I had been nice and loving to the kids today.

I signed up for reminders from Large Family Logistics and a couple of them are to Read Aloud to the kids and the other one is something called "Mama Love". While it reminds me to make sure I pay attention to the kids (I hope this doesn't sound pathetic) it doesn't require me to have feeling behind it, just a reminder of another "chore". As a mom, be honest with yourself, you get so busy with the day to day "stuff" around the house, that often the kids get pushed to the side or constantly told "later". I love my kids I really do, I just think sometimes life gets in the way, and I (and others) forget that being a mom is one of my most important jobs.
I think actually not having a job anymore is a HUGE blessing, it has allowed me to focus more on my family, and to reorganize my priorities. (Actually I have always known what my priorities were, but I allowed myself to be pushed into doing something I knew wasn't the right thing for me or my family.)
Early every morning, Lauren's first action is to come give me a hug, Hannah's is to go potty and give me a grunt while I try to hug her head. Today, Hannah came and gave me two kisses on her own, which is a big accomplishment. I didn't have to ask for one! Then we read Big Bear's Little Boat, and she helped put pepperoni on the pizza we made.


Lauren came and helped knead the pizza dough. While they were in the way, and I was getting irritated tripping over them, it was fun and I hope they are learning how to care for a family.


After dinner, I worked in the garden again, since it was cooler, and picked more beans. Somehow, I always miss some.....Hannah carried the pan into the kitchen and sat it on the floor for me....all without asking.


I think today was a good day. And i didn't even have to think about being loving, it just happened naturally.

1 comment:

Bob Westbrook said...

Your a great mom Amy, I've seen it so don't be hard on yourself. We all have tough times but you are an inspiration.