
I want to encourage any single women to seriously pray and answer the call that God may place on your life. Don't wait. I say this because I believe that God was calling me to mission work, primarily with the Ukraine, but I hesitated. After marrying and having children I still thought about the Ukraine, and the plethora of news programs and magazine articles that dealt with the subject actually caused me pain. I knew that I would not be able to answer this call anymore, due to my husband's unwillingness to participate.
I became involved in our church's AWANA program, which I really enjoyed as I was involved in it also as a child. I am still interested in this program, but our new church currently is not working in this ministry.
Today, I feel the call to a speaking ministry. Which I find strange, as I used to be extremely shy, but through the years and in dealing with several situations I have become stronger and better at speaking to small groups. I struggled with what I could talk to women about as I didn't have any dramatic life changing convervsion experience. I wasn't saved from alcohol or drugs, I was six years old when I accepted Christ. I am grateful for this in that I believe it kept me on a good path through my growing up years. I was fortunate to have a family rooted in the Bible. From my great grandmother, grandmother and mother I learned the importance of God's word in your daily life, and I want to relay this to women, but especially in the area of finances.
Today I had an "aha" moment. As I was thinking of how to start writing this morning, I realized that the struggles that I have went through the past 10 years has equipped me to this point.
Due to medical bills for my son, we filed bankruptcy 10 years ago. We opted for the Chapter 13 plan where you pay back your creditors in lieu of the other plan where they just wipe your debts out. Our bankruptcy attorney told me at the time that we were the first couple he knew to pay back 100% of what we owed. It was very hard, and many times during the course of paying back our creditors, I wanted to switch and just have everything wiped clean, but I knew that God held us responsible to pay back what we owed.
During this time the Tightwad Gazette books became my primary resource in getting through the five years it took to pay back everything. I learned to make pizza from scratch, sewed the majority of my brand new daughters dresses, used cloth diapers, and learned a multitude of new recipes for preparing meals at home and in baking. This journey continued on to my having another baby in 2003, and staying home with her after she was born. Learning how to live frugally during those lean years enabled me to employ these tactics in staying home on one income.
In 2005, I received my loan officer's license and began practicing and working in the mortgage industry. Honestly, I only closed one loan, but worked on hundreds of files, learned how to read and analyze a credit report, and counseled my clients on how to improve their credit in order to purchase a house in the future. Today, I no longer work in the mortgage industry, and my license is set to expire, but I received a vast education in this area that I will be able to pass on to others.
All these areas have given me a wealth of knowledge that people today, either in the church or out of, are despearately seeking. I actually have an invitation to speak at a church conference in the fall in Midland Texas to address how to get people out of debt and to work on their credit reports with them.
So, again, I want to encourage single women to answer their first calling prior to marriage, but also to encourage married women that if you failed to do so, God may unexpectedly give you a second calling and a second chance to respond.
*I wanted to clarify my post this morning. I don't want to imply that marriage is not a calling, but that if God has other plans for you, don't wait to obey. When applying to the mission field, it became apparent to me that my husband and I did not have the same relationship with God, and that because of my disobedience and delay in responding I missed out. The mission office would not accept my going to the Ukraine without my husband. I had neglected to share my calling, beliefs and the importance of my relationship with God with my then fiance. I assumed because he attended the same church that I did, that he was a dedicated Christian, and would be excited and ready to share this calling with me. After marrying, I was shocked to discover how far apart we were with regards to our relationships with God, but I had not prayed for God to show me who I was to marry, but just accepted the one that my immature mind and heart had selected. Because I basically believe that marriage is forever (with a few exceptions) make sure to pray for the spouse God has in mind for you, and make sure that you obey whatever calling God lays on your heart.
No comments:
Post a Comment