
The temperature dropped rapidly this morning, and by lunch time it was cold enough we need a fire in the wood stove. I am trying to gear up to start packing, though I am not feeling well, and we have also been doing some much needed school work.
We are in the Little House Book "By the Shores of Silver Lake", Chp 15-17. Today's topics were learning about the history of the railroad and it's role in westward expansion in the U.S. We studied about tuberculosis, and highlight of the day was reading about the Polka and the Waltz on wikipedia and listening to samples of the music. I played the Blue Danube Waltz for Lauren and she recognized it instantly. This waltz is played a lot in cartoons. If you get a chance go to www.wikipedia.org and search for the Blue Danube waltz and listen to the sound clip there...you will recongize it too!
We also searched wiki for examples of petticoats, chemises, corsets (Lauren liked those), bloomers, long underwear and drew a picture of each. Laura's clothes were made of flannel, woolen cloth and wool yarn. We read about the "checks and balances" for our government, and then did some math work. I think we will call it a day. We have been at it for several hours.
I have been looking at curriculum for next year, and we will be doing Abeka Math and using E.D Hirsch's textbooks and online lesson plans. Lauren is doing school work in a mixture of grades, depending on her ability (5-6). We also ordered Pre-GED and GED practice tests, because she has established for herself a goal of completing her GED by the time she is 16. If she changes her mind, no big deal. I don't want to push her in this, but she is motivated, for now, in learning, and I wanted to encourage, hence purchasing the books for her to look through, and for us to use in the years ahead.
No comments:
Post a Comment