
I purchased my first 45 lb container of Hard Red Wheat today(actually Wednesday, but I am posting this really late or really early Thursday a.m. about 12:00 midnight) from the local distributor. I was so excited to find it in town, and not have to order online. Online the same container is almost $36.00 plus shipping. I paid $24.00 for it locally.
Since Candi and I had packed my coffee grinder yesterday, so I went by Home Depot this evening and purchased their last three coffee grinders. They were $7.00, which is why I bought all three, and if one goes out, I will have back ups.
At Candi's we used her coffee grinder to grind enough flour for her to make a loaf of bread. Worked beautifully! Grain mills are expensive. Anywhere from $150.00 to $400.00 depending on the style and manufacturer. I don't know why more people don't use a food processor or coffee grinder, works good for me. Even a hand cranked coffee grinder runs about $25.00 online.
I am going to grind enough flour in the morning to make whole wheat pancakes. I can't wait!
Once we move and my pantry shelves are up, I will purchase 14 pails of the wheat. This should be enough to last a year, which is my goal. I am trying to get enough food stored for a year. With the economy the way it is going, I am worried about Rodney's job. Having enough food for a year will help tremendously. Once we sell this house and move, I will have more piece of mind. I pray daily that God holds off any serious financial crisis in our family until after the house is sold. I definitely don't want it foreclosed on, because then my biggest asset will be gone, and I won't be able to build a new house. Along with a house that is paid for, and a year supply of food, Rodney won't have to worry about finding a high paying job. We could survive on minimum wage for the electric bill and car insurance. I am so glad that we are almost debt free. The house payment is our biggest headache right now, so once the house is sold, it will be a very freeing feeling.
I worry about my family and friends. Most of them are not taking the pending recession very seriously. It would be ideal if they would downsize their lifestyles some, but I don't anticipate that happening anytime soon. They look at me as different, and probably even crazy. I think I am just logical and practical. It doesn't take a genius to see the writing on the wall, and to prepare for upcoming emergencies. They would do well to get their finances in order quickly, and purchase some more food. Food prices are projected to increase 500% in some areas during 2008! I have already seen eggs go from .79 cents a dozen to $1.89. I am so glad I have chickens and they have started laying again. As soon as we are out on the land, I am getting more chickens, ducks, geese, goats, a cow or two, a couple of pigs, and will stock the pond with bass and catfish. Many of these animals will end up in the freezer at the end of the year, providing us with more than enough meat for the year. We will be renting a backhoe soon and digging a root cellar/tornado shelter, as well as, deepening the pond, and digging out a section above the pond to use as a swimming hole. Rodney plans to line it with cinder blocks and cement to help hold the water in.
I won't be able to have an extensive garden this year, which is sad. I had so planned to have a larger garden and to can the surplus. I even received a pressure canner for Christmas. But with moving and building I don't see how I will get to plant and care for a garden. We'll see.
If you are interested in preparing for any upcoming financial emergencies or natural disasters (tornadoes/hurricanes) check out www.backwoodshome.com for great info. I highly recommend their annual magazine subscription, and any of their books for sale.
No comments:
Post a Comment