No matter how much I water, prune and fertilize the tomatoes they just aren't doing well in these over 100 degree temps...the tomatoes have stopped growing, and are turning red, just a little bigger than a cherry tomato....
The watermelons and basil appear to be doing the best.
Lost one of the Rhode Island Reds the other day, don't remember if I posted about it. I found it with it's head caught between the cage wires, so it may have choked itself, or died from lack of water. I have been putting a little pedialyte in the chicken's water to help with the heat, and it appears to have perked them up a little. They are growing so fast! Peter and LuLu need a little bit more exercise than they are getting now. I have been cleaning LuLu's damaged foot with peroxide and neosporin every night. It has some black places on it, but am not sure if it is just dirt or if it is getting infected. I inspected her foot, pressed it a little, with no reaction from her. There isn't any pus or swelling, and it isn't bleeding any...she is eating, drinking and hopping around so I think she will be fine. The vet said that as long as it doesn't get really black and stays mostly pink, she should be okay. I may take her in Friday, just for him to get a quick look at it.....get his opinion if she is good to go, or if she should be put down.
The weather is so hot and dry, and I noticed that grass fires have started up again in the area. Passing by big swatches of blackened grass is very discouraging, and I pray that nothing burns at the land....
The hens aren't laying, I guess it's too hot. There isn't any reason, other than that or they are just defective hens...they haven't really dependable in their laying the entire time I have had them...so it's possible, they just aren't a good layer type of chicken.
There's also a rat in the garage, probably lured by the chicken and rabbit feed, if not the chicks themselves. I am a little worried about the rat getting into the chick's cage and killing them, so will buy some Decon tomorrow or stick traps. I'll see what we can find.
No comments:
Post a Comment