Monday, April 13, 2009

Lessons Learned - Part 2

More lessons learned from spending the night and more time in the cabin.

I need to move the Coleman Camp stove from sitting outside on the grill to inside to actually be able to use it. I had Sterno heat, but it would have been helpful to have a few of those catering trays (okay, just one) to sit the Sterno can underneath. The first night I had no way of heating anything. The second night I clued in and lit a fire in the wood stove. This allowed me to be able to heat water for tea (almost a necessity).

Ooops, more later, baby is awake.

Well, the baby is congested so I didn't make it back to write what I learned until this morning. He's asleep now poor thing.

The bed in the front room that I had planned to use as a sofa has got to go, it takes up too much precious walk space. I am re-thinking the loveseat thing in the front room, and thinking that my wing chair along with an end table would be best. That would give me two upholstered chairs in the front room that would take up less space.

Work areas in the kitchen are also at a premium. I am thinking I'd like to have a cabinet built about two wheat buckets high and two wide. This will allow me to store the buckets underneath. I then would like a wide counter top (waist high) that would allow me to roll out pie crust, knead bread dough, etc., then have shelves about two quart jars high and wide from the countertop to the ceiling. If I locate an example, I will post it here so that I have something to go by.

I also learned that 30 gallons of water in a weekend goes fast when using it to flush toilets. I know there is a better way to use it, but others are wasting it by pouring the entire contents into the bowl. I'd prefer to fill up the back tank, and flush that way. Uses less water, but oh well.

I learned that when the kids use the Playstation the wires cross the walkway and cause a tripping hazard, especially when carrying the baby. I absolutely hate the Playstation. For almost 20 years our house was video game free, but one day the men in the household got a wild hair and will no longer listen to me. So, now the girls are addicted and everyone thinks I am over reacting when I grumble about the excessive game time. I can't wait for it to break.

I learned that I need a better lighting source in the bathroom. A candle doesn't provide enough light (at least the one I was using) and the battery operated lantern fizzled out, and needed to be recharged way too quickly. I am thinking a small window needs to be cut into the bathroom wall.

Items to complete:

put up solar indoor night lights now that painting is finished
sweep carpet
install screens
make beds
limit toys inside
set shoe rack by door
clean out wood stove

No comments: