After sleeping on my thoughts on educating the girls, I launched into the process today.
With Hannah we did our usual reading, writing and math. She worked on her handwriting (which she hates), read a couple of stories to James ;-) out of her Bible Story book. She pointed to each word as I read. This caused James to smile, which caused drool to drip out of his mouth.
Last, we worked on her math, which today consisted of circling greater than and less than amount, and completing patterns. She much prefers addition and subtraction, but we are working on finishing her workbook, and she skipped these pages earlier, so we are completing them now. She thinks patterns are "baby work" (sigh).
With Lauren, she completed her lesson in Saxon Math. It took about an hour, so tomorrow, she will need to start a second lesson in order to get the 1 1/2-2 hours of math work done. She then wrote a one page essay that I corrected for spelling, grammar, capitalization and punctuation. She didn't like that though. She doesn't like to be criticized, but I explained to her I am not criticizing what she writes or dictating what she has to write, just checking spelling and such. The other choice will be more formal grammar instruction, along with spelling. The girls then took a break for lunch, and a quick swim in my mother's day present (the pool). Afterwards, Hannah worked on computer work (nick jr) to play number games. Lauren read for 2 hours out of a Christian textbook on Grade 3 Science. I instructed her to pick one book and read it until she was done. I'd let her pick science, history, government, geography, etc., but she would read all the books on the shelf eventually, plus additional ones I'll buy.
Today, "we" learned that the yolk in an ostrich egg is the size of a softball, some squids grow to 60 feet long, that 1 ton equals 2,000 lbs, and that an adult elephant can weigh 2 tons (how many lbs is that? ). We also learned that there is an insect called a water flea. I say we, because as Lauren read, she'd find something interesting and then share it.
I can't say that Lauren was excited about this change, we'll see how it goes.
I plan to buy Saxon Math 1 and Saxon Math for 6th and 7th grade along with the tests, etc. for the Fall. The rest of the texts, I will look through the used book room at the FEAST building.
Lauren did express an interest in Art lessons and supplies tonight. Even surprising me that she likes drawing more than falconry. She has been very interested in hawks and falconry for over a year now, and was planning to start her apprenticeship this summer. But I guess like all kids she'll try on different "hats" to see what fits. Personally, I'd like to see her take a Photography class, she is an excellent photographer and definitely has her dad's artistic eye.
No comments:
Post a Comment