Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Homemade Incubator


My two oldest hens are broody. They have been sitting on eggs for a week, though I have been removing them daily. Yesterday, I decided to keep the eggs under them, but today Lauren was "helping" and removed all 11 eggs from the nesting boxes. I hesitate to eat them since they have been left out in the heat (100 plus) for a couple of days.

I brought them home tonight thinking I'd call my friend Bonita to see about using her incubator. I then looked up the cost of one, and they aren't too high, but I thought I'd try the homemade one I found on the internet at www.ehow.com. Apparently, farmers used to use this method, using what was on hand, so if it was good enough for them, it's good enough for me to experiment with.

I took a cardboard box, cut a hole, inserted light bulb, place the eggs on a towel, along with a small dish of water, a thermometer and the eggs. I'll monitor the temperature, and see if they hatch. So, on about June 2nd we should have chicks. I'll candle them in a week or so to see if they are fertile. If this homemade incubator doesn't work, I'll think about investing in an electric incubator.

No comments: