It's been a few days since I've posted. The computer was down, and getting back into the household routine after spending Friday, Saturday and Sunday in the hospital with James is taking a bit more. He is taking his medications, sleeping more, and is a whole new person personality wise. I am not sure if this is due to his feeling better, or age. He will be four months old soon, and is almost 20 lbs. He is a long one too at 26 inches long. He is wearing a size six months. He generally sleeps pretty good from about 11 p.m. - 4 a.m., most of the time.
We have been working fast and furious in getting the cabin together. After a few glitches we are back on track...for now. Please pray for us as we spend a lot of time together, downsize our belongings and move. This is a stressful time for our family due to the move, and the economy. It is leaving both of us stressed to the max.
The electricity is about 90% done, just a few more plugs left. The bathroom light was installed and measurements taken for the small window to go in there. This will provide much needed air and light. Also, in the planning stages is hanging and connecting the Tiny Titan hot water heater. I sure hope it works well, I keep receiving conflicting reports on it's success, and am worried.
The counter top is mounted on rough cut timber legs is installed, along with a new sink and our two burner stove top. This was bought last year and has been in storage. The laminate flooring and the shelving are still to be bought, and will be some of the last things to go in, though I do need the shelving sooner than the flooring. I opted for the counter on the legs in order to more easily store my wheat and food buckets under them. I plan to add a curtain around the edge of the counter to hidge the buckets and legs.
We will be spending all day out there tomorrow, and I am planning on cleaning up a lot of trash, sweeping, wiping and re-arranging "stuff". I am still working on what is going, and where it will be going, not to mention what to do with the left over stuff. I am hoping to have a yard sale to help provide for living expenses and such.
I'd like to start recycling also, once we move. The drawbacks to this are that there is not a recycling center within 40 miles. I'd like to divide out the paper as that could be burned, and then divide out the plastic bottles and cans. Food scraps are to be divided among the chickens (veggie scraps) and the dogs (meat scraps). We don't have trash service out in our area, so I am trying to find ways to reduce our trash outlay. We tend to be very "trashy" people, and generate a lot of trash, something I am hoping to decrease once we move.
I also plan to implement new house rules (living in a small space demands organization) and new eating habits. I am hoping to cut out even more of the fast food trips, as we live further from town. I have been collecting crock pot recipes, and plan to utilize it more. I won't have an oven, so will be using the roaster and bread machine more. I am kind of excited over the move, but also stressed, as we already tend to stress each other out, and in a smaller space it will be worse. The only bright spot is that it is warmer weather and the kids will be outside most of the time.
There are also plans to start adding a large patio/deck on the front of the cabin for relaxing and eating space. This is something that will greatly help with space management. A small lean to/shed is also in the planning stages. I have several pallets that will more than likely be used for the flooring to raise the washer/dryer/refrigerator off of the ground. This will be housed on the North side of the cabin, and is mostly in the shade for a good portion of the day. I'd like to fence in and build my small garden area behind here. I am using the Urban Garden plan out of John Seymour's book and a few ideas from the Path of Freedom folks to get started, adding to the layout over the next few years. Lots of ideas and lots of plans. Many will have to wait until the baby is bigger so that I can accomplish them. It's fairly difficult to accomplish any major task toting a baby with you, especially a grumpy one.
No comments:
Post a Comment