Thursday, May 14, 2009

A strange animal

Today when we went out to feed, we found Isabella Rabbit dead in her cage. I am not sure if it was the heat, or if she was traumatized yesterday. She bit Lauren, and when Lauren shook her off, she got out of the cage. The four rat terriers barked at her a lot until the rabbit ran them off with teeth bared. She scared our Rottweiler so bad, Baeta wouldn't come out of her kennel. She was put back in her cage, but she was dead today. Very strange.

As we were leaving, Hannah spotted an animal crossing the road. At first I thought it was a racoon but it was very strange looking. It had a strange waddle, and wasn't even scared when we drove up next to it. It didn't hurry away or anything. It turned and looked towards us and sniffed the air. I think it was blind, as it's eyes were crusty yellow, and it' fur looked very old and moth eaten. It kept waddling down the fence line, so was probably on it's way to the pond to eat and drink. Our pond is one of the few around that have water, because we keep it filled from the well. We looked online when we got home and turns out it was a badger. I have never seen a badger. I didn't even know we had them here. It's been exciting being at the land. I've seen several animals that I've never seen before (coyotes, crested cara cara, hawks, Bald eagles, racoons, cranes, wood ducks, wild hogs, rattlesnakes, water moccasins, and now a badger. I think I am going to have the girls do a unit study on badgers next, so we can learn all about them. I like knowing about the animals at the land.

Lauren has an impressive collection of rattlesnake spines, ribs and rattles, coyote jaw, pieces of coal and other rocks, feathers, the feet of the crested cara cara (it was dead on the side of the road). A virtual museum of natural science.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badger

No comments: