We took a large rubber maid tote over to the resale shop. It was mostly Lauren's clothes. We did save out a few special pieces for Hannah, but she has recently received some really nice summer clothes and more from a friend. Some of the money we received today went to purchase Lauren a nice pair of jean capris, a yellow sleeveless blouse (really cute) and a pink t-shirt. Hannah bought a green t-shirt dress like one her friend Shelby gave her. I know it sounds wierd to buy more clothes after taking in clothes to get rid of but we got rid of so many, that it was okay to get a few pieces that they WILL wear.
You know it's really funny when you watch and monitor what kind of tv programs your kids watch. I used to be really strict with Taylor because he acted out so much. We had to cut out any shows with karate, the Transformers, Ninja Turtles, etc. With the girls I figured they wouldn't be into that stuff, and they aren't. Their TV is now limted to the Disney Channel when school work is done, and watching any Animal shows on Discovery, TLC, Animal Planet and PBS. They LOVE the nature shows. The other show they also really like is "18 Kids and Counting" on TLC. Lauren has also been skimming through the Duggar's book that I bought recently. The other day at the resale shop she found a really cute long denim jumper. It has buckles on the shoulders like overalls but is an ankle length skirt. There are butterfly appliques around the hem. She also purchase a white t-shirt with pink and blue bands around the neck. Now, keep in mind this is how the Duggar girls dress, and I did not encourage her to buy this jumper. She came to me and asked me if she could buy it. I always encourage modesty, and don't allow anything that I consider immodest, so was very pleased that she picked the jumper out on her own. She LOVES it. She has worn it for two days straight now, and it is in the washer for her to wear tomorrow with yet another t-shirt. So, see, what they watch does influence them, either good or bad.
On another note, I picked up two tension rods to hold curtains to hide the under counter area in the cabin's kitchen. I also picked up two curtain sets that have baking pictures along the hem with green checks. Very cute. I also found a magnetic curtain rod! This was exciting. It is really difficult to screw anything into the walls of the cabin as they are thick metal, and the screws will of course poke out through the other side. I bought this curtain rod for the bathroom window along with a blue toilet seat cover and the little rug that goes around the toilet. I hung the curtains under the kitchen counter. Very nice! I also swept the bathroom. Then using Windex I sprayed the small bathroom floor (about 4 X 4 if even that) and cleaned it with a wash rag. I scrubbed the toilet with vinegar and placed the bathroom trash can with a new liner in it. The bathroom looks great! I need to make a little curtain for it out of the fabric I have, so that is next on the list.
We had driven to the next town over to check out the location of the hospital there. I had called around to find the closest hospital to me with anti-venin for snake bites. We have killed a lot of snakes recently (friends have too) and I felt it was important to know where to go. We showed Lauren too, in case she has to drive me or her dad there. Just in case. She has driven on the property, and is a good driver for her age. Since we live in the country, and the potential for injury is there her dad thought it was a good idea for her to learn how to drive for EMERGENCIES ONLY. She drives daily from our chicken coop to the front gate where either her dad or I take over to drive the rest of the way. She can back up through a ranch gate, park, brake without jerking. It's funny to watch her move the seat up, put on the seat belt, adjust her mirrors and head out the back gate onto the driveway towards the front gate. Like a little adult. ;-)
Anyway, I digress. After finding the hospital (really easy, take the second exit off the highway and go straight through the stop sign, it's on the right) we headed to Walmart. This Walmart is the oldest Walmart in our area (possibly in the U.S.). It is the same one that was there 20 years ago when we moved into the area and you can tell. They didn't have everything I was looking for so I will need to head to another town over to the bigger Walmart.
After arriving at the cabin the girls' dad continued to cut the grass to help keep the snakes under control. We have also burned brush, picked up a lot of trash, split and stacked the wood (where we found a rattlesnake). In the process of shredding, a rattlesnake was killed, along with a bull snake that was shredded (accidentally) to little pieces.
Monday is the girl's dad's birthday. With the money they made from selling their clothes they bought him a birthday card and a $15 gift card to Regal cinemas. He LOVES going to the movies. He was very pleased with his gift this afternoon. Of course, they were waiting to accost him as soon as he came in the door. They didn't want to wait until Monday.
Well, off to bed, tomorrow we have to be up early to take Hannah to register for swimming lessons.
No comments:
Post a Comment