Tuesday, June 2, 2009

I bought the Vaccine book by Dr. Bob Sears yesterday. I read it last night when the girls and I spent the night at the land. I really wish I would have read it prior to getting James his vaccinations. He was given a couple of his vaccinations yesterday at his appointment. I didn't really want to vaccinate him at all until he was older, but due to recent measles outbreaks and the swine flu scare, I caved and started him on a delayed vaccination schedule. Doing one vaccination at a time. Yesterday was his Polio vaccination, which I found out I didn't really need to give him at all because Polio no longer occurs in the U.S. He was sick all day yesterday and today. He has been extremely cranky, crying very badly, not eating, or sleeping, and today he has been throwing up. If he isn't better by the morning, I'll call the doctor. I understand some reactions can be expected with vaccinations, but am still worried. I think I am going to stop all his vaccination boosters, and go with Dr. Sears Alternative Vaccination Schedule for all the kids, with the exception of the HPV vaccine for Lauren. I talked with her today regarding the vaccine and what it was for, and that I was not going to get her vaccinated. We have talked about sex before, and I told her that my hopes and God's plan is for her to wait until she is married to have sex. She said that this was her goal also, as she did not want to have a baby young because she sees how hard it is with James, and with a young girl we know who had a baby last fall.

I told her that I will do my best to make sure she waits, but once she is an adult, her behavior is her responsibility and she should get the vaccine if she chooses, plus if her future husband has chosen not to abstain until marriage she will need the vaccine to make sure he doesn't infect her. I told her I was praying for her in this area, and was also praying that her future husband would keep himself pure for her.

I've talked to the girls about God having their husband already in mind, and Hannah finds this very interesting. She was talking about James' future wife last night. It was very cute.

After the baby's doctor appointment Monday morning, we stopped by Sun Harvest for Lauren to pick out several snack and food choices. She has Celiac Disease and milk allergies but other than when she was really young she has never eaten appropriately for it. I was becoming so frustrated with her poor eating habits that the doctor told me to leave her alone, that when she was bothered enough by the wrong food she was eating she'd make the change herself. This went against everything I believe in being the parent, and making her eat correctly, but I was really tired of the battle, and the lack of support from other adults who fed her whatever she wanted. So for the past several years she has surived primarily on chicken strips, pickles, potato strips, ramen soup, and the occasional apple. Well, she has recently been having stomach issues that are bothering her, and I reminded her of the Celiac. She didn't remember having it, but was willing to try different foods. We bought pasta that was gluten and wheat free. Regular spaghetti and some organic fusilli make with rice, potato and soy flours. I made spaghetti tonight for both the girls using this pasta, and they didn't notice a taste difference. We also got several different types of cookies, cake mixes, and an All Purpose baking mix (Like Bisquick) all wheat and gluten free. We are on the hunt for new recipes, and a different eating way for Lauren, but also hopefully will eat healthier for the rest of us.

Tonight for dinner I made Skillet hash using ground pork (from a hog the pastor shot), diced red potatoes, and romaine salad for me and Rodney. The girls had the spaghetti. Neither are a big beef eater, though I do add ground beef/pork to the sauce. I am providing apples, bananas, grapes and carrots, free choice, for the girls to eat as they want. Hannah enjoys yogurt and string cheese, and eats a lot healthier than Lauren, though they both have a ways to go in the vegetable department. We are working on that...

Lauren was also given money to purchase art supplies. She is very artistic and loves to draw. She had been wanting art canvasses and oil paints, but after looking through the art shop next to Sun Harvest and talking to an employee we didn't choose the stretched canvasses, but a pad of 9 X 12 canvasses in a pad form (much cheaper) and acrylic pants. She also bought a brush set, a paint palette for mixing the paint colors (she only got red, blue, yellow and white) and a small sketchbook. She has been painting yesterday and today and really likes it. I need to look into art lessons, and/or a book on painting for her. I am useless in this area, as I have no talent for drawing/painting. My skill area is more in the area of famous artists (Monet being my favorite).

We rounded out our day Monday at a birthday party for a friend's young son. He was turning three. He is so cute. The girls had fun playing together, though Hannah needs to seriously work on her manners and sharing skills. If she keeps it up, she won't be allowed to play out of my sight when we go over. (I really like the tomato staking philosophy, but have been lax recently. Time to start staking I think.) www.raisinggodlytomatoes.com

No comments: