Friday, May 30, 2008

Friday


I spent the morning running to a couple of different feed stores looking for another wire rabbit hutch. The one here in town didn't have it, so I went to the one the next town over, and they had what I was looking for....

Afterwards, we came home and got the rabbits settled in their new cages, the old cage cleaned, the chicks fed and watered, and then headed into town to have lunch with Candi.

The girls and I had already eaten, but we met Candi and her brood at Jack In the Box. We then headed to Walmart to pick up a few groceries. I also purchased a box of canning jars, some pickling spice, and a dehydrator. I am so happy about the dehydrator!

Just wanted to share a few funny things that have happened around here the past few days......

First of all, on Tuesday I went out to the land to check on my chickens, re-fill the feeders and the waterers. Well, I didn't pay attention, and forgot to latch the gates so the chickens got out. I went back in the chicken yard and the hens hopped in the coop right away, but the two roosters, flew out of the coop. I didn't have time to chase them, or wait until they went up naturally, so I left them out for the night. I was half hoping something would eat them, because the main rooster has been a pain in the posterior for the past year.

Well, Thursday I went out around lunch time to water the garden, and pick some vegetables. I went to the coop to see if there were any eggs. None in the nesting boxes, so I looked down on the bottom. Nope, none there either. I was starting to get irritated by now, as these are the worst laying chickens I have ever heard of. I think, I need some kind of window or skylight on the top of the coop to let more light in, because SOMETHING is throwing their laying off.

Anyway, as I was bending down, I noticed a bunch of feathers on the other side of the coop between the barn wall, and the coop. I thought "Oh no, something got the rooster, and left pieces of it here!" About that time, the rooster turned it's head and stared at me. It was panting too, which I know is not good for chickens. I walked around to the side of the coop, and started laughing. I knew right away what had happened, because I have seen the rooster do it...He likes to fly up on top of the coop, the thing is, that the roof is sheet metal, and very slippery. Apparently, he slipped, and got wedged UPSIDE DOWN between the wall of the coop and the wall of the barn. I couldn't pull him out by his legs, so Taylor and I rocked the coop back and forth, until he fell down on the ground. We had to put him back into the chicken yard, and he wasn't walking really great. Provided some water to him, and then he started crowing for a LONG time. He was really embarassed! He went into the coop, and didn't come out the rest of the day, though I heard him crowing. Maybe that will "learn" him to stay in the chicken yard. LOL! I wish I had a camera on me, it would have been a great picture.

The second thing happened today at Jack In the Box. Raymond is Candi's 6 year old son. He is in love with Hannah (soon to be 5). He has made all these plans for their married life. What kind of job he will have, the 1,000 children and so on. This REALLY irritates Hannah. When he starts going on with "When you and I are married, I'll take you to Disney World, etc." Hannah constantly tells him "Look I am not getting married to you. I don't even like you." He just smiles and keeps on going.

Well, today he walked up to her to show her how much taller he has gotten (they were the same height until recently). He told her "See, I am bigger than you. I could beat you up you know." Now, most little girls would cry and run and tell, but not Hannah. She looked at him with a serious look, no smile, and sipped her soda. Then she told him calmly "I can break your finger you know?" He got this scared look on his face, and backed away. It was so funny!
I told her to be nice to him, and not to scare Raymond. She told me he was on her nerves. I told her again, she better stop letting him bother her, because they were going to end up married one day. I told her people who fight all the time, end up married. She puffed up, got red in the face, and told me "I am never marrying that disgusting boy." I laughed and laughed.

No comments: