Thursday, May 8, 2008

Herb Society Meeting


Tonight I am attending my first herb society meeting in town. It's a workshop on Herbal First Aid. The speaker is why I am going. I really want to attend one of her classes, but they are in Austin, and I don't want to drive that far for a weekend seminar. She emailed me to let me know that she would be in town today, so Lauren and I are going.

Taylor has his finals tonight, so please pray he does well. He has been studying since Monday, and one exam was a take home exam, that he had to turn in tonight, then finish the essay on campus.

It is very hot today, 93. The puppies have been in the backyard all day by themselves. Mostly sleeping, I went out just now to fill their water bowl, and put a little water in the wash tub for them to lay down in if they get hot. I need to get a little plastic pool for them this weekend. It is supposed to be 100 tomorrow!

Please pray for the city of San Antonio. One of the old (1895) Catholic universities burned down a couple of days ago. If you are interested in reading about it go to www.ksat12.com and look for Our Lady of the Lake University. I am not Catholic, but it's still sad, the campus building was beautiful. Almost looked like a Castle.

Off to town now....
***********************
Back from town the meeting was interesting. I was a little under dressed. Who knew that a garden/herb club meeting meant flowery dresses and hats??? LOL!

I talked to several members, they were very friendly, and eager for me to join. One lady I talked with (found out later she was the society's president) said that an hour before the meeting she was up to her elbows in mud, so for me not to worry about how I was dressed. That most of them worked at nurseries or lived in the country, so the meeting is always viewed as an opportunity to get cleaned up a little. Next time I will know.

The refreshments were a little different than what we were used to. Lauren went and raided the car for snacks. The menu was a little exotic (everything was made with herbs) and included:

dill quail eggs (yep, little Barbie sized, hard-boiled eggs sprinkled with dill - they tasted just like chicken eggs)
miniature scones spread with dill cream cheese (take your favorite biscuit recipe and use a shot class to cut out the biscuits - call them scones)
Mango, corn salsa with Tostito chips
Several herb inspired dip
Jalapeno cream cheese, and dill cream cheese filled celery and cucumber slices topped with the cream cheeses
The iced tea was also an herbal tea (the taste was familiar but I couldn't place it)

The workshop given by Ellen Zimmerman out of Austin was on Herbal First Aid. I learned a lot, and will post the information she gave out here later.


Things to do Friday:

sign up for CCW class
take puppy to vet for eye
pick up pool
buy bulk bay leaves
clean house
go to TC for shop
get oil changed, tires checked, and air filter replaced

2 comments:

Temi said...

I'll be waiting for that herbal first aid info........................... oh and P.S. I am not very patient...LOL

Amy E said...

Plant yarrow, comfrey, echinacea and aloe vera. According to the herbalist, these are the foundations of a good first aid kit. We also learned how to make an herbal poultice.