
Today has been a busy day. This morning we picked up our breeding pair of New Zealand rabbits. The two are one month old, and are now housed in a pet carrier with a little coastal hay, rabbit pellets and water. The small female is named LuLu and belongs to Hannah, and the male is Peter Rabbit (original, I know) and belongs to Lauren. I told them they can name these, but not ANY of the babies that we have. I don't plan to keep many as pets, but will sell them to other 4H members, and plan to butcher some for meat. (Sh! don't tell the kids, they won't eat dinner, if they think I might put rabbit meat in the meal.)
After picking up the rabbits, we ran to the land to pick up the pet carrier, stopped by the feed store to purchase a food dish and water bottle, plus a 50 lbs bag of rabbit feed and a 50 lb bag of chicken scratch.
We dropped the rabbits off at the house really quick and headed into San Antonio to have lunch with my friend Perla. We haven't seen each other in several months, due to both of our schedules, so it was nice to sit and talk.
We arrived back home around 2 p.m., to the water being off. I just love when the city works on the water lines without giving notice. I was a little upset, called the city, and asked to be put on the agenda for the next council meeting. I have a couple of issues I'd like to address, though I don't expect ANY resolution, as the city leaders, don't actually care what I think (I'm female, and under 60), plus my last name is Edge.
This evening, Lauren, Shaina and Taylor went to the city park to play tennis for a while. Rodney, Hannah and I headed to the land. Rodney cut down the coastal hay, and we will let it dry for a couple of days, before raking it up and putting in the barn. We don't have baling equipment, so we will be resorting to the old fashioned hay stack. This is our first cutting.
I sprinkled my garden with DE. I think gophers are getting my corn and tomatoes. Entire plants are missing, where they were standing only the day before. I am going to dump some used kitty litter down their hole, as I have heard that may get rid of them. We'll see. I badly need to harvest some basil, but haven't purchased a dehydrator yet. Tried to try them in the oven, and it didn't work. Other herbs I have dried by just hanging up, but apparently basil molds easily, and in humid weather you just can't do this effectively. I may freeze this batch, and work on getting the dehydrator. My St. John's Wort is growing pretty good, but none of the other (legal-LOL) medicinal herbs that I planted germinated. I am going to re-plant, so we'll see what happens. Two more eggs today (one yesterday). Whoopee! I was out of eggs, so I hope this means the hens are going to start laying more regularly, because if not, chicken nuggets are looking mighty attractive.
Oh! earlier when we went out to the land to get the pet carrier, there were five young red tailed hawks under a mesquite tree, sitting on the ground. Lauren went through the gate, and slowly walked up to them, she got pretty close before they flew off. She was very excited! When we left there about 10 sitting on fence posts and the side of the road across from our driveway. I don't know if it's mating season, or if these are babies. (Once about a month ago, we counted over 35 red tailed hawks on the property.)
My baby brother is getting married in November. It's hard to believe, time sure has gone by so fast. I remember when he was born. Makes me feel old!
Tomorrow Candi and I will be getting together. We plan to go to the FEAST office and look in the used book room for curriculum for the fall.
No comments:
Post a Comment