Sorry about the delay in posting the information on the Herbal First Aid seminar I attended a short while back. Here is the information that I learned.
A few good herbs to have on hand are:
aloe vera - (primarily used for burns - be careful internally, as it is a strong laxative)
comfrey (used for poultices for sprains, wounds, bruises and insect bites)
yarrow (chew a few leaves, and place the leaves in a bleeding cut. In moments the bleeding will subside, and the wound will begin to heal).
echinacea (helps to boost immune system. Better to take before exposure as a preventative, especially prior to travel, or watching children.)
How to create an herbal poultice:
- harvest fresh herbs and chop them. In some instances, the whole leaf may be used effectively.
- place the chopped leaves in a pan, adding just enough water so they will not burn.
- heat them on the stove until the herbs become wilted and the water is absorbed.
- cool to a comfortable temperature and place the herbs directly on the skin. Apply them over a thin layer of cloth if the wound is in a sensitive area.
- An outer cloth may be used to keep the heat in. Wrap plastic around the outer cloth to preserve even more heat and to prevent the poultice from dripping.
- Use tape or a towel to secure the poultice.
- Change the poultice every 2o minutes. Use fresh herbs at each change to gain the best results.
Also, learned that any herb's Latin name that ends with "officinale" is a medicinal herb. Herbalist also encouraged us to not use Goldenseal, unless absolutely necessary, as the herb is on the "at risk" list due to over harvesting.
To make mullein, oregano oil, lavender oil or other infused oils. Fill a canning jar 3/4 to the top with dried herb. Pour extra virgin olive oil into jar, until herbs are covered. Place a tight lid on the jar, and let the herbs steep in the oil for 2 weeks. Strain out herbs, and retain oil for medicinal uses.
Mullein can be used for a bandage, mullein leaf for congestion in a tea, flowers (infused in oil) for ear aches, and the root for diarrhea. I had a lot more notes, but unfortunately, my son cleaned out the car, and threw them away. I was highly upset. I guess if I valued them, I would have put them away. Shoot!
Ellen Zimmerman, M.A., Certified Herbalist, www.ezherbs.net
No comments:
Post a Comment