Friday, May 23, 2008

This morning we headed two towns over to sign the paperwork and close on the land. Just in time too, because the fence is FINALLY finished. The goat pen still needs to be worked on, but the entire 10.5 acres is fenced.

Had to pick up the puppies third round of 7-way vaccinations. I dropped Rodney back off at home and he worked on painting the ceiling to the living room.

The girls and I headed over to Somerset to pick up a few items: a rabbit nesting box, chick start, heat lamp, and a chick watering bottle. I didn't know they had chicks at the feed and seed, but they did! I bought 3 Rhode Island Red pullets and 3 Buff Orpington pullets. I had also arranged to buy 8 Cucu Marans from a breeder in San Antonio. They are not sexed, so I have no idea if there are any roosters. I hope not. I really want laying hens, no more roosters, if possible. I may keep one Cucu Maran rooster to breed the Maran hens, and place the Reds and Buffs with the older flock.

It was very hot today, and the chicks spent time on the front porch in a rubber maid container. It was 105! In May!

I brought the chicks in tonight and Rodney helped me set up a place for the heat lamp to hang and keep them at about 90 degrees. I am charging my batteries, so will take a picture of the chicks and the bunnies when I can.

I have committed to cooking at home for the next week, and only cook from my stored items. I looked up recipes, and planned my menu (see previous post), with the hope that this will keep me on schedule, and from eating out so much. Trying to figure out how much more food I need to round out the year plan, and work menus around them, or actually make menus, and buy the food preps for the menu.

Need to grind wheat for the morning breakfast, I think it's pancakes, but will double check. Had to make MORE laundry soap this morning. This is turning out to be a weekly thing, and I am washing way too much. I wish everyone would cut down on the clothes. I think it's time to weed through the clothes, and pack up those items that aren't needed, and scale back down to five changes of clothing. During Christmas, they always seem to get more. (sigh) I hate washing clothes, but not as much as washing dishes.

No comments: