
May your stuffing be tasty
May your turkey plump,
May your potatoes and gravy
Have never a lump.
May your yams be delicious
And your pies take the prize,
And may your Thanksgiving dinner
Stay off your thighs!
May your turkey plump,
May your potatoes and gravy
Have never a lump.
May your yams be delicious
And your pies take the prize,
And may your Thanksgiving dinner
Stay off your thighs!
It's here! The start of the wonderful holiday season!
When I was little every year after we ate Thanksgiving dinner, my mom would put her Gene Autry Christmas Album on the stereo. That for me was so exciting, as it meant Christmas was on it's way. Once I was married I looked all over for that album, but couldn't find it. Recently I did find a tape cassette, and an abbreviated version on CD, and was very happy about that....
I normally do the same thing after Thanksgiving dinner. Tomorrow I will hang my red bows on the front porch posts, along with hanging my wreath here, and one on the gate at the land.
My turkey is in the roaster, since about 8:30 a.m. My dressing is done and in the refrigerator, along with the chocolate cream pie. I need to make the mashed potatoes, gravy, warm the green beans, and brown the rolls, which will be a little later. I put a cinnamon coffee cake in the oven, and am waiting for it to be done, drinking hot tea while I type. My kitchen is trashed and I really need to wash dishes. The hot water is turned off in the kitchen, as there was a leak earlier in the week, it is making it very hard to keep the dishes done, as I am bringing hot water from the bathroom in a metal wash pan.
The weather here is a little chilly, with heavy fog. I have a small fire going to get the damp and chill out of the living room. Rodney and Lauren are laying in the bed in the bedroom watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, and Hannah is watching the Barbie special "The Diamond Castle" on Nickelodeon.
We will head out to the land later to feed the animals, and work on the fence. Beta killed a young raccoon yesterday, and Rodney had a difficult time getting it away from her, she liked carrying it around with her and tossing it up in the air, but that was a little gross. He was finally able to get it away from her and tossed it over the back fence under the "Memorial Tree". This is the area that we have been throwing all the dead animals we find from our two chickens to a variety of other animals (doves and even a prairie falcon once).
**picture courtesy of the Proverbs 14:1 woman
http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/106186/How-Much-More-Thanksgiving-Will-Cost-This-Year
I was reading the above article and I wanted to post the cost of my own Thanksgiving dinner.
Turkey: $9.11 for a 12 lb turkey
Dressing: had cornbread and all ingredients on hand to make
Eggs: eggs given to me by a friend from her chickens
Rolls: .95 X 2 = $1.90
Pie: .88 cents for cool whip, .89 cents for pie crust (jello pudding already on hand)
Green Beans: in pantry already
Mashed Potatoes: in pantry already
Gravy: Watkins turkey gravy mix (on hand)
Iced Tea: on hand
Total: $12.78 out of pocket expenses to make Thanksgiving Dinner
Thanks to having a full pantry I had most items on hand to make the dinner, plus ingredients to make a Brown Sugar/Cinnamon Coffee Cake this morning for breakfast. I did run out of milk, but had powdered dry whole milk by NIDO to mix up a batch and refrigerate that way I could finish my cooking.
*******************
The day has actually been a pleasant day, with little fussing. The girls played all afternoon with the puppies. It started raining around 5 p.m. so we headed home. No one (except me) wanted anymore turkey so I made grilled cheese and chicken noodle soup, and a turkey and mustard sandwich for "moi".
I sure am glad I bought a small turkey this year, as I don't have much leftovers. I have a small aluminum pan full, and am now making turkey stock in the roaster with the bones, wings, and odd bits of turkey meat. I added a cup of dried onion, garlic powder, and covered everything with water. It's cooking on low, and will cook for about 24 hours, before I strain it, and place in the freezer. It will make great turkey soup as it gets colder this winter. I like to then add carrots, celery, and egg noodles along with some fresh bread and YUM!
**************************
Things I am thankful for:
1. Salvation
2. My Family
3. My Home
4. Food
No comments:
Post a Comment