Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Reflection on Friends


You know I have come to realize that I have put too much emphasis on having women friends. At first I sought out people who had the same interests as mine, you know, homeschooling, rural live, country living. I then noticed that many of these "friends" were not Christians, and it was really important to me to have Christian friends, true Christian friends. Ones that would be there for each other no matter what. I had/have three, then it went to two, and now it's approaching three again, though I am approaching this new friendship with caution, as I don't know if I could survive being hurt again. But I always think about the "one that got away". I don't know why, other than I can't pinpoint why we aren't friends anymore, and it hurts my heart to realize that I will never know.

My daughter mentioned to me the other day that we hadn't heard from this person in awhile, which started me to crying again. By nature I am normally not a crier, but lately all I do is cry over this person, which then places her on my mind, and I then pray for her. My daughter also mentioned that maybe this person only like to have friends for a short time, and only likes making new friends. This really opened my eyes, and I realized it could be a possibility. I'd like to think we were REALLY friends, but realized that while I was there for her during a difficult time, she is not here for me when I really need her. Before all this happened, I would have said she was my best friend. I think that is what hurts the most is that I haven't had many BEST friends. You know a friend who you can tell anything to her, and she will pray for you good or bad? One who won't judge you, one who would help no matter what.

In evaluating my friendships I realize that maybe I have been a better friend to them, then they have been to me. By nature I am a giver, and I can only assume this makes some uncomfortable. Oh, some have been happy to "use" me then go on their way, but I wouldn't classify this friend in that category.

I just sit here and speculate on what went wrong, and I just do not know.

After saying all this, I've come to the conclusion that while I will always love this person as a sister, she didn't feel the same about me, and that God perhaps caused this rupture in our relationship to have me lean more on him, then on another person with all the human failings. This realization offers some measure of comfort, but at times, like today, when I run across her name, I get sad all over again.

I find myself once again looking in the mirror, and reflecting on, what I did wrong? what could I have changed? And the sad thing is, there's probably nothing I can do. Another sad thing is that my kids ask about her ALL the time, and wonder about her kids too, who they had become really good friends with....

No comments: