Sunday, October 7, 2007

Blessings...

PRAYER REQUEST: Please pray for Eddie and Kim S. Eddie had a brain aneurysm a month ago. Thanks!
********************

The word Blessing has different meanings to different people. I have heard the word used to say "we are expecting another blessing in August" referring to impending motherhood, or when used to describe something positive and unexpected. For instance, finding a $20 bill on the ground. What a blessing! Let's say the blessing (prayer), etc. etc.,

I don't know about you, but I didn't use to view my children as blessings. I love them, but have in the past treated them more like burdens, then blessings. I am working on changing this attitude of mine. It became front and center in my mind when my dad passed away. In the Bible it states that children are a heritage from the Lord. As I looked around the church at my dad's memorial service, I was finally glad that my parents had five children. Along with spouses, and grandchildren, my father left a splendid legacy. Just the thought of dying, and having no one around who cares, is very....scary and sad. To have a family to mourn your passing, and an extended Christian family that cares about your well being, your comings and your goings, is awesome. It also makes you realize your shortcomings.

Today's sermon was on Living in the Spirit vs. Living in the Flesh. Many people have a bad perspective of Christians, primarily because many of us Christians, while attending church, and talking a good game, are actually living in the flesh. We need to have more of the Fruits of the Spirit evident in our life, than the Fruits of the Flesh. The difference you ask?

Fruits of the Flesh are divided up into three section in Galatians 5:19 Intimate relations, worship aspects, and social relationships. These consist of sexual immorality and debauchery, idolatry and anger, selfishness, quarrlesome, discord, strive, jealousy, envy, drunkenness and "the like".

Fruits of the Spirit are love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control.

What do I mean by fruit? The "fruit" you produce in your life is the evidence of what is important to you. Are you known by your "good fruit" or your "bad fruit"? If a tree produced bad pears every year what would you do? You'd cut it down, and plant something better right? The same goes for your life. If you have those things in your life that are just not good for you, prune them out, get rid of it. Even if you don't believe in God, not having these negative things in your life is better for your health and peace of mind in the long run. Right?

As a Christian, I am called to a higher standard, and need to actively live like a Christian. I asked myself in church today if mylife lines up with Scripture? Do I have good fruits? I'd like to think so, and honestly, my tree could be pruned too, as I am sure some bruised fruits pop out now and again. Living in the flesh means you miss out on the awesome and exciting opportunites that God has in store for you. If God doesn't bless us directly, he will bless us thru other believers.

***********
It was a great day. After church, I spent the rest of the afternoon at home. I was bad and didn't cook at all today, so we ate out....twice! Ouch! I was trying to save money, but Rodney wanted something other than what I was cooking. I guess I am going to have get firm for the rest of this week. Christmas is coming, I am going on a trip to Midland soon, and the roof needs to be repaired.
We watched T.V., and I worked on my binder for home management, emergency contact info, and emergency prep stuff. Making lists, making lists.....
I washed dishes, and did a little laundry then finished a sewing order. I have two more orders and then I can get busy on Christmas presents.
Tomorrow is a holiday, Columbus Day, and we will be taking a break from our regular school schedule. I also have an appointment with my life insurance agent, to increase our life insurance amounts.
The rest of my list looks like:
call dealership re: tags for dad's car
call tax office re: tags for our truck
contact dad's life insurance company
contact dad's finance company re: car
contact lawyer re: Executorship/heirship/insurance claim
contact dad's former employer to pick up belongings
print 401K beneficiary forms to take to employer
Wow! it's almost 11:30 p.m., the kids are in bed, finally. Their dad bought a remote control helicopter (one of those big boy toys ) and they were out in the street until 11:00 pm playing with it. Frankly, I don't believe a 10 year old and 4 year old should be out playing that late, but I am not going to get into a debate with their dad over parenting skills this late. The girls will be so cranky tomorrow, and guess who gets to benefit from their lack of sleep. Yep, that's right, "lil 'ol me". LOL!
Tomorrow is laundry day, but I don't think I'll get much done. We'll see how the afternoon turns out.
Hope everyone had a good weekend.

No comments: