This is a draft of a letter I am preparing to submit to our local newspaper....
Dear Editor:
It's sad that in today's society people are not aware of personal property rights. Every year that my pecans fall, I find hordes of people in my yard picking up my pecans. No one even asks. I find this very rude. I would never dream of going into someone's yard and helping myself to the fruit off of their trees, the vegetables out of their garden, or the pecans off of their trees.
What is with people? I shouldn't have to post a No Trespassing sign, or fence in the entire property. It is understood that you just don't take something from someone without asking.
When we first moved in we had three large pecan trees. Over the past 15 years, two have died, just leaving me the one. In the past, I'd get upset but not say anything, as the people generally left when I pulled up into the driveway. They didn't even apologize or act guilty! Just casually walked away, with bags of nuts in their hands. I use these pecans for baking and to eat, and it really, really bothers me that I moved to a small town because I thought the people were nicer, and had old fashioned values. It is sad to see that is not the case. What is even more shocking is that many of these people in my yard are over 50, so they know better.
This morning I went out and asked the people to leave, and to leave the pecans they had picked up already. The said they would leave but they wouldn't leave the pecans. I told them that it was stealing, the woman just shrugged and said "Call the police." I said "how about I just call my dog or Smith and Wesson?" She laughed and walked away.
Enough is enough. I would like to ask everybody to please respect everyone's property rights in this town and elsewhere. Grow some sense.
I am also putting everyone on notice that I will no longer tolerate the jumping of fences and walking through my yard, the picking up of my pecans, the stealing of my wood, the destruction of my property. I will prosecute those I come across in the daylight with tresspassing, those that I find in my yard at night, well use your imagination. Anyone creeping around my property in the dark, deserves a load of buckshot in their rear.
Sincerely,
Me
2 comments:
Get some rock salt loads. That'll do the trick. And do call the police. Trespassing is against the law and you can make them prosecute. I'd love to be there and fire off a few blasts to see em run.
I would be fuming mad! Hell, I'm made just reading your post. Two years ago I caught a moron cutting my fence so he could run his 4-wheeler onto my property. He explained that he wanted to retrieve a deer he had shot off my neighbors property that had fled to the back of my ground. I know he had no permission to hunt on keiths' ground, and sure as hell didn't have permission to cut my fence. I held him there (with his own firearm) till the sheriff showed up and hauled him out. Yes...I did prosecute.
Post a Comment