
Okay, here I am again, high up on my soap box, trying to hold back a nosebleed.
I am shocked and amazed at the poor manners of today's generation. Saying that makes me sound so old, but remember I am 38, and I closely affiliate myself with the previous generation, than the one I get dumped into because of the year of my birth.
I remember growing up that my mother had these rules, that are basically society rules from the "olden days". You know those days that inspired politeness to strangers, courtesy to family, and respect to your elders?
Here are some examples how the youth of today are so off the mark, it makes me want to smack them upside the head.
For instance, it used to be common practice for a man (young man, older, gentleman) to give up his seat for a lady (women, etc.). My son is bad about this...I picked him up today, and there were several girls standing up, and he and another guy were occupying the only bench. When he got in the car, I reminded him, rather strongly, that the polite thing to do would have been to give one of the girls his seat. His response, "Why? I was there first." I told him that is not the point, it is polite, respectful, and gentlemanly to give up your seat to a woman, especially and elderly woman or one who is pregnant. He looked at me like I am crazy. I guess he really did ignore me his entire life when I was trying to hammer manners into his head.
Another instance occurred, as I was coming out of a door at the school library, and the "boy" in front of me didn't even hold it open! Never mind that I am a lady, but it's just plain polite to hold the door for anyone, no matter their gender. That preturbed me.
Then I talked to one of my friends today. She moved earlier this year into a fairly newly built home, but definitely new to her. While I would prefer a more rural location and more land than what she has, I am happy for her that she finally has her own home. This used to be a reason for women to rejoice with each other. Why would I want to steal her joy in her new home? She has a nice yard for her children to roam in, a new home, and a secure, stable place for her family. Something she didn't have previously. This home was a gift from God, and I view it as such. I was also raised to help people, and to say something nice, which is something many young people aren't being raised to do, as apparently, the younger generation's view on this is to degrade, humilate and ridicule someone's living conditions, which she experienced recently, when a young person visited her home. I find it immature, insecure and downright petty and mean of this person to steal her joy in her home. It was so bad, she was actually stressing before this person's visit, because she knew what their reaction would be. I also find it extremely immature to constantly throw up how much money you pay for something from food to a home. For instance, if you paid an outlandish amount for your home, all it tells me is that you don't know how to manage your money, and that "things" are more important to you. Just because you have money does it mean you should be wasteful? No! God commands us to be good stewards of the money he gives us. (I would also like to add I am working on this with my son too, as he can be hurtful in telling people exactly what he feels. In his defense though, it isn't his upbringing or my lack of enforcing rules and codes of conduct, my son has Asberger's and at times just doesn't know when to hush.)
I am shocked and amazed at the poor manners of today's generation. Saying that makes me sound so old, but remember I am 38, and I closely affiliate myself with the previous generation, than the one I get dumped into because of the year of my birth.
I remember growing up that my mother had these rules, that are basically society rules from the "olden days". You know those days that inspired politeness to strangers, courtesy to family, and respect to your elders?
Here are some examples how the youth of today are so off the mark, it makes me want to smack them upside the head.
For instance, it used to be common practice for a man (young man, older, gentleman) to give up his seat for a lady (women, etc.). My son is bad about this...I picked him up today, and there were several girls standing up, and he and another guy were occupying the only bench. When he got in the car, I reminded him, rather strongly, that the polite thing to do would have been to give one of the girls his seat. His response, "Why? I was there first." I told him that is not the point, it is polite, respectful, and gentlemanly to give up your seat to a woman, especially and elderly woman or one who is pregnant. He looked at me like I am crazy. I guess he really did ignore me his entire life when I was trying to hammer manners into his head.
Another instance occurred, as I was coming out of a door at the school library, and the "boy" in front of me didn't even hold it open! Never mind that I am a lady, but it's just plain polite to hold the door for anyone, no matter their gender. That preturbed me.
Then I talked to one of my friends today. She moved earlier this year into a fairly newly built home, but definitely new to her. While I would prefer a more rural location and more land than what she has, I am happy for her that she finally has her own home. This used to be a reason for women to rejoice with each other. Why would I want to steal her joy in her new home? She has a nice yard for her children to roam in, a new home, and a secure, stable place for her family. Something she didn't have previously. This home was a gift from God, and I view it as such. I was also raised to help people, and to say something nice, which is something many young people aren't being raised to do, as apparently, the younger generation's view on this is to degrade, humilate and ridicule someone's living conditions, which she experienced recently, when a young person visited her home. I find it immature, insecure and downright petty and mean of this person to steal her joy in her home. It was so bad, she was actually stressing before this person's visit, because she knew what their reaction would be. I also find it extremely immature to constantly throw up how much money you pay for something from food to a home. For instance, if you paid an outlandish amount for your home, all it tells me is that you don't know how to manage your money, and that "things" are more important to you. Just because you have money does it mean you should be wasteful? No! God commands us to be good stewards of the money he gives us. (I would also like to add I am working on this with my son too, as he can be hurtful in telling people exactly what he feels. In his defense though, it isn't his upbringing or my lack of enforcing rules and codes of conduct, my son has Asberger's and at times just doesn't know when to hush.)
Another example is my Mother in law. She is in her 70's but raised in poverty. By marrying my father in law she was able to have a better life, and to this day refuses to buy anything that is not a name brand. What a waste! Just because it has Kraft, Dole, Del Monte, etc., on the label doesn't mean it is better than the store brand! In case everyone is not aware the majority of all canned products are canned at one time in a factory, and then labelled according to the factory's customers. If their customers happen to be Dole, Rotel and Walmart, well guess what, the beans inside those cans are the same EXACT beans! If you choose to pay $1.00 for a can of Rotel versus .33 cents for the Walmart brand, who is smarter?
A true story here....I have been married for 19 years. My inlaws have been to my house ONCE to eat dinner. Why? because when I was first married I invited them over. I had a relish tray for snacking on prior to dinner being served. Well, my MIL was scarfing up the cheese faster than you could blink. She was like this is good cheese what kind is it? I said " cheddar". She was "no what brand". I told her it was the store brand. She got the funniest look on her face like she was going to toss that cheese right back up. She slowly put down the piece she was eating, and said "oh". She refused to eat any of the rest of my food that I served, claiming she was feeling ill. Yeah right! The funny thing is, there is only her and my FIL and she spends over $800 a month at the commissary! That is so wasteful! I don't even spend half of that for a family of 5, plus a variety of guests through the week. I just don't understand this wasteful, rude, and disrespectful society we live in, and these people I have been talking about "profess" to be born again Christians! I am at a loss....
Okay, I am stepping down from my soap box, before I get really irritated.
No comments:
Post a Comment