Monday, October 8, 2007

Columbus Day


I just wanted to share this photo with you. It's my dream home. (just kidding)
It's called a Hillbilly RV.

Happy Columbus Day! In observance of the holiday we took off homeschooling today. Tomorrow we will learn why.

On the schedule is to pick up the tags for the truck at the county seat, then drive Taylor to school. In the evening, my sister Ann and I are headed to my dad's former job to pick up his personal belongings and last check.

Now, that the hectic pace of summer is winding down, I wanted to encourage people to start stocking up and preparing for the winter, a natural disaster or worse. No, I am not crazy. I prepare mainly for natural disasters, with an eye on a bigger break down in society being plausible, if not possible.

Last year I made certain we had enough wood on the property. I didn't split and stack it, that was DS and DH jobs, but I did make sure I located it throughout the year and got it here.
I made sure we had enough food, mainly so I wouldn't have to go out in the cold, and that we had enough water on hand for three days or so. This came in handy when we had an ice storm. Everyone around me had trouble staying warm, but with our wood stove, we were fine. I even cooked our meals on it (normally soup or chili).

I know I am better prepared this year, though I do want to add more shelves to the pantry and stock up with at least a year's worth of food.

If you look back in my blog you can see where I took inventory of my pantry. I want to encourage you to do the same, and to take seriously the curve balls that life throws at us. Who knows what weather lies ahead this winter or what financial straits will pop up in the coming months. Having enough food on hand will take some stress off.

I try to encourage my extended family, but other than my inlaws (who lived during the depression, and the direct aftermath of the depression) no one takes me serious.

While I love my family, I am only prepping for my immediate family (myself and kids), everyone else is on their own. I can't provide for everyone, they need to provide for themselves, and not bother coming here, unless they come prepared.

Of all my family, I can only thing of one that would be an asset, and he is a hunter, the rest are too citified.

On my DH side, his parents would be useful, his brother too is an experienced hunter. My FIL is the greatest asset I know, but he is in his mid 70's, and it is hard dragging info from him. I wish I had a better relationship with him, so I could pick his brain. He grew up on a farm, was a sharecropper, hog farmer, in the military, and can fix or make just about anything. Along with my husband, we would be fine. If, we could band together. I don't really want to leave my home, as all my preps are here, and we are in better shape prep wise, but the inlaws have the land.

Okay, enough of a ramble....have a good night everyone.

No comments: