I am doing a series of devotionals on Self Control. Today's verse is in Ephesians 4:2. "Always be humble and gentle. Be patient and accept each other with love." This is from the ICB version.
Anyone who knows me finds it hard to believe that I struggle with self control. I am often characterized by being calm under stress, logical and can seem un-emotional. Much like Mr. Spock from Star Trek. For the most part this is true. But a strange thing happened about 4 years ago. I gave birth to my daughter Hannah. Afterwards, I suffered from post partum depression, which I swear changed my personality for the worse. I finally believe I have come out of this depression, for the most part, over this past year. My personality changed as such that I became very short tempered, but only with my kids. I use to never swear, but unfortunately, I have been known to swear here recently, much to my dismay. My four year old's favorite word when she is angry is "damn". I can't get my damn shoe on", etc, etc, I didn't realize it was me she was copying until this week. I feel so bad. I confess I had to ask God's forgiveness, and hers, and talk to her about how ladies should talk. Then lo and behold I find this devotional on my bookshelf on self control. It's supposed to be for kids, but I am sure I can benefit from it as well.
So, here I go, starting a journey on learning to re-control my emotions. Not letting them control me. And yes, to be more tolerant. For some reason this word rankles with me. I have often said that God doesn't call me to be tolerant (especially when it comes to society's sins), but after reading this devotional I now accept this definition of tolerant. The world means being kind and considerate to people who are different from me. It doesn't mean I have to accept the blatant sin in their lives, but I need to be kind, polite and mannerly towards those who choose not to live according to the Word of God.
I want to be the kind of person that my kids can look up to, and whose good deeds are a blessing to my family and friends. I try not to broadcast the things that I do, primarily because I don't do them for recognition, but because I feel prompted by God. Kids learn by watching, and imitate, so I need to act accordingly, and to be a GOOD example for them to follow.
****************************************************
Today is a special day in that I am all ALONE. Yes, I am by myself. I can even go to the bathroom by myself! My husband's aunt is in town (we haven't seen her in 19 years) and he took our kids over to meet her. He was taking a trailer load of brush to burn at his dad's and the kids went for the ride. It is so quiet here, almost makes me consider public school and daycare (LOL!)....just kidding, though it is nice to have a bit of peace. Normally, I am tripping over kids, toys, and turning the TV down constantly.
On the agenda is to finish my tea and devotional, then finish my housework. My to do list looks like this:
pick up dining room
wash dishes
laundry
make laundry soap
vacuum hall
make bed
grocery store for the necessary T.P. (I have everything else, but this stuff goes fast!)
garden - if time
sew - if time (I have two orders for flannel pjs)
Then homework later tonight after everyone has gone to bed.
No comments:
Post a Comment