Thursday, August 6, 2009

Rattlesnakes everywhere it seems!

Whew! Almost got snake bit tonight. Very scary. The dogs were at the bridge barking their faces off. After a long while, I went and tried to run them off, but they just wouldn't budge. I walked up to the bridge and tried to see in the dark what they were barking at...I thought there was something by the well. About that time Rodney came out with a flashlight because Baeta was barking. When she barks you KNOW something is really wrong. There was a 5 foot rattlesnake curled up, rattling like crazy, in strike pose. Rodney shot and killed it. I either stepped directly to the side of it, or right over it. Praise God I was not bitten! Reminds me of the story book I read last night at Bonita's. I believe it is called "Soft Child, How the rattlesnake got it's fangs". Very cute story. Anyway, I think from now on we will just stay inside at night.

Here at the farm we are going through a major personal speed bump. Don't really want to talk about it at this moment, but major changes are coming. I will talk more about it in the future, maybe. ;-)

A verse God has reminded me of recently is Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you. They are for good and not for evil, to give you a hope and a future." Another recent verse that seems meant for me is Isaiah 49:10 "They shall neither hunger or thirst, neither heat nor sun shall strike them. For He who has mercy on them will lead them, even by springs of water He will guide them."

The goats are doing well and seem to be thriving, though the little babies don't appear to be growing very fast. I'd like to get additional pigmies and a couple of guineas to help with the snakes, but that is the future. In addition, I'd like to purchase some Cornish crosses and have Bonita help me put them in the freezer. The girls don't eat much red meat, so the chickens will be very welcome. All this of course for the future, as I can only deal with one thing at a time.

I was lightly chastised last night for not posting more. I apologize, but moving has taken it all out of me. Still trying to recover, unpack and organize. Dealing with the heat, and temps over 105 are a major source of my day. I am up early getting things done, because right after lunch we retreat to the bedroom and the air conditioner until the evening. This means I lose a good 4-5 hours of work time every day. I can't wait for the Fall when it will get a tad cooler. The winter will be really cold in here, but I am still looking forward to this new adventure of living in the container/cabin. I expect we will spend a lot of time around the wood stove, or watching TV/reading in the bedroom curled up under covers with the heater.

Lauren and I played Scrabble for the first time tonight (her first time). She scored 138. Which is great! The directions state that a beginner will typically score around 70. I did have to help her a little on how to position her letters, and explain the rules. I tried to take it easy on her, since I know way more words. I scored a 163, but did use words like canty, grouse, and bray. We looked up the definitions online as we were playing, so I guess that was our vocabulary lesson for the day ;-)

A friend is sending me her Robinson Curriculum for FREE. I am so beyond excited.

Well, I am off to bed, I am very tired tonight. Stress will do that to you.

1 comment:

Bob Westbrook said...

Canty??? I thought I was well read and have an extensive vocabulary but don't have a clue what canty is. Geese Amy, now I'm gonna have to look it up.
Just know we're praying for you. Five foot rattler is a pretty good sized one. Did ya save the rattler? I'm collecting them off all the snakes we kill up here.
Call if we can help with anything. I'll have Cherie check out the Watkins stuff. See ya. OH, say hi the the kids for me.