Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Field Trip Day

We were up early this morning, actually Lauren was ;-) She usually bounces out of bed at 7 a.m. to feed the animals. I guess she likes doing it. We left the goats the penned up today, they have been destructive lately, and I didn't feel up to dealing with more after being gone all day.

We had a field trip to the San Jose Mission in S.A., and the Spanish Governor's Palace. I really like the Governor's house. Very cool, Lauren liked it too.

more later, baby is fussing...

The field trip to the San Jose Mission was a guided tour. It seemed really quick. I've never had a guided tour before. It was a little boring. The tour guides needed to remember they were speaking to children and to keep it short and interesting. Hannah was bored.

I liked the little apartments. The walls of the mission actually form the living areas for the indians that used to live there. I really like the beams in the ceiling, the white washed walls, the adobe, and the cute little fire places. The fire was laid on the floor in a corner, and the flue/chimney hung over the top of it and out the roof.

There was a bride there getting her picture taken. She was beautiful. The highlight of watching her was when she lifted her dress to walk. She had big red cowboy boots on under her dress. I laughed and laughed.

I like the granary, the grist mill and the church. The bells were nice, and rang frequently.

We had lunch then headed to the Spanish Governor's Mansion/Palace. It was built in the 1700's and occupied by the founder of San Antonio, the Marquis de Valero. Most people might think it modest, but I am sure by the standards of the day it was quite nice. I LOVED it. The foyer was small, and to the right was the family chapel with the dining room and kitchen behind it. To the left was the parlor, which opened onto a bedroom and the family room. I liked how all the rooms opened onto one another. The high ceilings, tall windows and the way the rooms were open to each other, appeared to let the air flow and to keep the place pretty cool. The family room and kitchen opened into the courtyard. The girls loved the courtyard. The trees and plants made it quite cool and peaceful. There was also a loft between the kitchen and dining room. A cute set of stairs went up and the loft was apparently used as the family's food storage pantry. I could really see myself living in something like that, very nice.

Afterwards, the girls and I, a friend, her kids and brother headed down to the riverwalk to take a river cruise. I hadn't done that since, well, forever. It was a little tiring, as I normally don't walk so far. It was a blessing it wasn't too hot. James did get a little hot and fussy on the ride, but finally fell asleep. I liked the ride, but could have done without the operator talking so much, and giving his marketing spiel on which restaurants to eat at. Overall, I enjoyed the day, and was glad that we went with Bonita. It is always more fun with someone you know.

We had an early dinner, baths, and then crashed on the bed watching t.v. I did get up a little later and sewed about 7 hats, until my shoulder started hurting. I sewed 10 more tonight, mainly newborn sizes. I don't have nearly enough, but I didn't have time to sew the past few weeks due to work getting in the way, and being so tired.

No comments: